Possible to upgrade from 7.0?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by NotJohnnyQuest, Jan 16, 2016.

1. NotJohnnyQuest macrumors member

So I've been out of the loop with jailbreaking for some time now as the process of upgrading/reinstalling jailbreak apps always seems like a bit of a pain. Right now I've got an iPhone 5S that's jailbroken on iOS 7.0.4. Is it even possible for me to upgrade to a jailbroken iOS 9.0? And how would I go about that?

Sorry if this is something that's been covered elsewhere, although I take it most other people have moved on from 7.0 by now..

2. StarkCity macrumors 6502a

StarkCity

Negative ..... No way to move to an unsigned firmware. Your only move is to wait until they jailbreak the current software . Shouldn't be much longer. The window will be small imo, and everyone's waiting for it. But a jailbroken 5s on 7x isn't a bad thing at all. Some might even be jealous

3. NotJohnnyQuest thread starter macrumors member

Interesting.. how so? I just bought a new Mac so I'm missing the iPhone/Mac continuity features now

4. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

People say iOS runs smoother on iOS 7.x over 9.x for older devices that support iOS 7.x

5. StarkCity macrumors 6502a

StarkCity

Some people just like 7xx that much..... I don't know, I'm not one of them. But from what I've read, sms and phone calls may still work on a 5s on iOS 7 because those continuity features only require wifi. Just keep your eyes open for the new 9xx jailbreak, when it drops, update, and re-jailbreak as fast as you can. My old 5s ran great jailbroken on 9.0.2, I didn't have the lag a lot of other experienced

6. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

You can only upgrade to the latest IOS Apple is signing and that is 9.2.

7. Totally macrumors 6502a

Totally

Why would you want to do this honestly? You have an iPhone 5S on iOS 7. Everything works presumably as you would like it to. If you upgrade, you can never get your old iOS 7 back and you will have to re-setup your whole phone and risk things not working anymore. But as long as you are on iOS 7, you have the option to upgrade.

Furthermore, you cannot upgrade to 9.0 as it is no longer being signed. Only the current version and I have no clue of it's jailbreak status.

I'm in a similar boat as you. I have an iPhone 5S on iOS 7.1.2 jailbroken. I've come to the conclusion that no one could convince me to upgrade my phone. I've learned my lesson from getting screwed on past upgrades by things not working anymore. iOS 7 til the day my phone dies.

8. NotJohnnyQuest thread starter macrumors member

I hear you. I like iOS 7 and find that that things work pretty well. But I do encounter a fair number of apps I'm unable to install on my phone because of my outdated OS.

Also, the ability to take calls from my Mac (introduced in iOS 8 I believe?) seems incredibly useful for me. I spend a lot of time listening to music with my Apple earbuds connected to my Mac while working. Getting a call on my iPhone means I must unplug my earbuds from my Mac, mute my music, and plug the earbuds into my phone to take a call over my headset, which is annoying when I'm answering multiple calls a day. Being able to take a call just by clicking a button on my Mac would save a lot of hassle.

Not to mention all the more minor tweaks you get in an iOS update that prove to be useful.

9. Totally macrumors 6502a

Totally

Fair enough. I did run into that problem with a few apps. But it hasn't gotten overwhelming for me yet. You can only update to the version of iOS that apple is currently signing which may or may not be jail breakable at the moment.

10. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

App Admin, http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/01/16/app-admin-block-app-store-updates-downgrade/, might help mitigate some of the issues

You'll be able to choose which version of the app to download (pick a version that is compatible with iOS 7.x)

11. Totally macrumors 6502a

Totally