Possible to upgrade from snow leopard beta to retail?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Juo100, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Juo100 macrumors regular

The title says it all really, im wondering is it possible to upgrade from snow leopard developer builds to retail?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Do you mean "is it possible without a complete reinstall?"

I'm not sure how the $29 disk would handle that.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If you are running Leopard as well, then yes, for $29.

4. Juo100 thread starter macrumors regular

If installed the developer preview on my Leopard Macbook, then later bought the Snow Leopard disc will I be able to update again with all my files folder preferences etc as with a normal migration?

Can I even go from Leopard (retail) to Snow Leopard (Dev Preview) in this manner?

(As you would from Leopard (retail) to Snow Leopard (retail)

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Ah, well, I'm not sure. I've always done a complete reinstall when going from developer builds to the official release. I've had enough issues with the dev releases to not trust them. I mean, really, the *.0 releases aren't usually all that phenomenally stable. ;)

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

This is probably the best way, since you can ensure no old files carry over.

7. Juo100 thread starter macrumors regular

If you do a complete reinstall when going from developer builds to the official release can you use the Migration Assistant with Time Machine to restore user data in a 'safe' manner?

8. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...see, this is just one reason why developer/beta releases are not out there for general consumption....oh yeah!

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, yes, you should be able to, but I'd really recommend against using a developer build on a primary system. I wouldn't even recommend trusting that the user data would be properly saved with the betas. Generally, the dev builds are for, well, testing apps on the latest beta. They're not to be trusted as day-to-day OSs.

10. MentalFabric macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

snow leopard beta info files claim that it will not be possible to upgrade from the beta to the final release candidate - though I'm fairly confident if you had a running fresh install of final release you could manually drag the best part of your data over from the old disk!

11. not-available macrumors newbie

I run Snow Leopard b 10A421 as main OS and it is way stabler than 10.5.8 on my other mac. I've never encountered any problems AT ALL with this build, but when i'm going to buy the retail disc, I would like to know if i'm able to archive-and install or to restore from a Time machine backup using migration assistant.

12. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

See, if you were a Developer (or if you simply paid attention), you would know that Apple has always recommended an Erase and Install or at least an Archive and Install from a Developer Seed (the Beta Software you're running), and that it should not be used as a primary OS anyways.

Of course, when someone goes and gets something they shouldn't have, chances are they don't know what to do with it either.

jW

13. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

regardless as to whether you can upgrade from 10a432 to GM (if its not the same), can you be on 10a432 and move up to Snow Leopard retail? I dont mind having to do archive and install or erase and install but i wont have to roll back to leopard (dont even have the disks on me) just to be on snow leopard retail?

14. MentalFabric macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

if anyone has had the chance now that Snow Leopard has been released to attempt an upgrade from a beta version please post your results here!

@thatdoggfather:
    if you choose either archive and install or erase and install it wouldn't matter whether you were using a beta version or anything else, you'll be able to install Snow Leopard straight off.

15. uberjason macrumors member

uberjason

I have upgraded to Released Snow Leopard on 3 macs, (family pack), two of which were running developer code 10a380, they both upgraded fine to Snow Leopard.

16. zerostar macrumors regular

Upgraded from 10A432 to Retail DVD no problem, did a verify and all the files are exactly the same :) So wasted like 20 min ;)

17. wase4711 macrumors regular

how about anyone who upgraded from the "alleged" gold mast 10A432 to the "official" retail today?
    Any difference, or are they the same exact thing?

18. MentalFabric macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

Many thanks for the cheering feedback! This was a normal upgrade and not an archive/erase and install right? Just waiting on my discs now and looking forward to upgrading a 10a314 to final release...

Any other users who've done the same are encouraged to post their reports :D

19. tekio macrumors regular

10a432 & the retail disc are exactly the same http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=774186

20. wase4711 macrumors regular

21. Fishrrman macrumors G3

If you have the 10a432 beta, you HAVE the "retail"....

Software Update is already working with it.

- John

22. MentalFabric macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

Which updates have been released through Software Update so far for the retail release?

23. St. Germain macrumors 6502

All I've gotten is the Aperture update.