Possible to upgrade Macbook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by toruweber, Mar 24, 2014.

1. toruweber macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

So I was recently asking myself if it is possible to upgrade my Macbook Air by replacing the SSD or Ram for example with more powerful components.

Processor: 1.86 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory: 2 Go 1067 MHz DDR3
    Running Mac OS X 10.7.5

I know Apple itself doesn't offer any possibilities to do this so I guess I'm asking this to people who have further knowledge.

Thanks in advance,

Toru

2. lo100469 macrumors member

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The RAM modules are hard soldered to the Logic Board, and can't economically swapped out. The SSD as posted above can be changed over to a larger model...see ifixits site for details:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide

4. toruweber thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for posting this website.

Nevertheless, I was hoping to find a way to better control the overheating of my Macbook Air but without success.

Whenever I watch videos/streamings my Macbook considerably overheats and becomes very slow sometimes.

5. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

RAM wouldn't help with that anyway. What you need is a laptop that doesn't have a 1.86ghz core2duo.

6. Cristian .b macrumors member

You should reapply thermal paste and clean dust off the inside. that helps a lot , because the fan gets clogged and wont be as effective as when it was new.

7. toruweber thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there any good guide out there to do this?

8. Cristian .b macrumors member

9. bit density macrumors 6502

The key to remember, is that in a perfect world you would need NO thermal paste. The paste fixes SLIGHT imperfections, and is not better than metal to metal contact. As opposed to the factory which apparently uses insane qtys of paste, use probably a little less than you think is the minimum.

10. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I upgraded my i5/4gb/256gb MBA to i7/8gb/512gb. The procedure was very simple... I sold it and bought a new one. :D

11. Kobayagi macrumors 6502a

Kobayagi

Lol while I was reading that, I was like wow, really!? keep reading!! then I was like :((( :p

I knew there isn't a option to upgrade the ram, but as I was reading that I got hope, haha :p

I have the 4gb version and I wish I had 8 gb ram. Can't really invest in selling it rebuying again. I won't get much for my current one because I dropped it once and it's a bit damaged. :( but all works okay though. So I'll make sure I get more ram when I really need a new Mac.

12. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

More RAM was the one upgrade I chose when I ordered my 2012 13" from Apple.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's probably due to the bad thermals than a slow processor. My ThinkPad X200 has the same processor and it runs just fine.