Possible to upgrade Macbook Air?

toruweber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2014
Hey guys,

So I was recently asking myself if it is possible to upgrade my Macbook Air by replacing the SSD or Ram for example with more powerful components.

Processor: 1.86 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 2 Go 1067 MHz DDR3
Running Mac OS X 10.7.5

I know Apple itself doesn't offer any possibilities to do this so I guess I'm asking this to people who have further knowledge.

Thanks in advance,

Toru

toruweber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2014
The RAM modules are hard soldered to the Logic Board, and can't economically swapped out. The SSD as posted above can be changed over to a larger model...see ifixits site for details:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide
Thank you very much for posting this website.

Nevertheless, I was hoping to find a way to better control the overheating of my Macbook Air but without success.

Whenever I watch videos/streamings my Macbook considerably overheats and becomes very slow sometimes.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011

Nevertheless, I was hoping to find a way to better control the overheating of my Macbook Air but without success.

Whenever I watch videos/streamings my Macbook considerably overheats and becomes very slow sometimes.
RAM wouldn't help with that anyway. What you need is a laptop that doesn't have a 1.86ghz core2duo.

Cristian .b

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2013
Apple walled garden

You should reapply thermal paste and clean dust off the inside. that helps a lot , because the fan gets clogged and wont be as effective as when it was new.

bit density

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2004
Seattle
Is there any good guide out there to do this?
The key to remember, is that in a perfect world you would need NO thermal paste. The paste fixes SLIGHT imperfections, and is not better than metal to metal contact. As opposed to the factory which apparently uses insane qtys of paste, use probably a little less than you think is the minimum.

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
I upgraded my i5/4gb/256gb MBA to i7/8gb/512gb. The procedure was very simple... I sold it and bought a new one. :D
Lol while I was reading that, I was like wow, really!? keep reading!! then I was like :((( :p

I knew there isn't a option to upgrade the ram, but as I was reading that I got hope, haha :p

I have the 4gb version and I wish I had 8 gb ram. Can't really invest in selling it rebuying again. I won't get much for my current one because I dropped it once and it's a bit damaged. :( but all works okay though. So I'll make sure I get more ram when I really need a new Mac.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
RAM wouldn't help with that anyway. What you need is a laptop that doesn't have a 1.86ghz core2duo.
It's probably due to the bad thermals than a slow processor. My ThinkPad X200 has the same processor and it runs just fine.