Possible to upgrade the ignore feature?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by rmhop81, Mar 25, 2014.

1. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

I've been a member here since 2005 and pretty much check out the site on a daily basis. Recently there has been a huge flood of threads created by new members that are of low quality and do nothing but junk up the site. Duplicate threads are also created and I find it difficult to ignore these threads with the current ignore feature on this site.

The ignore feature only works for posts and does not work for threads that are created by these specific users. I know I'm not the only one that is a little frustrated by the latest content going on in the forums, but I wish there was a way to really ignore it so we can enjoy the quality content that does appear from time to time.

From what I've noticed....the ignore feature works partially. If you have someone on ignore and they post in the same thread....the ignore feature basically notifies you if you pass by their post that you have this person on ignore and it just hides the text. But if this person creates a thread of their own, you see the entire thread completely. Sure the posts after the initial thread creation you can't see.....but that's why I think the ignore feature only works partially.

I'm a member on a few other sites and the ignore feature works great. Add the user to the ignore list....they create a thread, reply in a thread....you have no clue that they've even posted or created a thread at all. You basically don't even know they exist on the site anymore.

Is it possible to upgrade this feature? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Please use the “Report Post” [​IMG] button!

Thank you! :)

3. rmhop81 thread starter macrumors 68020

rmhop81

unfortunately that doesn't always work ;)

4. rmhop81 thread starter macrumors 68020

rmhop81

What's the point of the feedback forum if mods don't reply? I was even instructed to post in here by a mod and seriously no replies??

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

This was the correct place to post your comments, so that anyone with an opinion about it could comment. (The "Report Post" button shouldn't be used if you are asking for a reply.)

I don't think our forum software, vBulletin, has the feature you're asking for. Do you know what forum software is used by the forum sites where you've found an ignore feature that works as you describe?

6. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Yes it's likely because the other sites use different forum software. The version of vBulletin that this site is using is many years old and they haven't upgraded it because they use some modifications that work with the old version they are using. The features you are thinking of May have even been added to the more current version of vBulletin for all we know.