Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 23, 2005
Hey all,

Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the logic board in an original MacBook Pro (Core Duo) with one from a newer MBP?

amoda

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
I am not 100% certain but my guess is no. There were physical changes between the CD and C2D updates (addition of FW400) so I would assume that the shape of the LB changed. This is assuming you have the 15.4" model. The 17" might work though...still wait for a smarter person to come by :-D

An upgrade from 1.83Ghz CD to 2.13Ghz CD should be doable, though probably not worth the $$$.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I think it's one of those cases where it is remotely possible (with a lot of sweat and toil) but in the end, it wouldn't be worth it.

Aside from the risk you take damaging the mbp (and the logic board) you also void your Applecare and place all your faith in your handywork. Like the old saying goes, the lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client. ;)

I think it would be more prudent to sell your older mbp and buy a new one when they're updated. :)

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
It would be vastly cheaper to sell your existing MBP and buy a new one. Logic boards are seriously expensive to buy outright

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
Possible, yes, but reccomended, no. You will probably give up if you start, you'll be dealing with a lot of tiny fragile parts (replacing my HD was easy, but I took it slowly), the motherboard has all sorts of gizmos on it that you'll have to find a place for, and it's a really tight fit. You'd be better off not totaling your MBP.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Hey all,

Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the logic board in an original MacBook Pro (Core Duo) with one from a newer MBP?

I doubt so. The casing has actually changed from the original CD MacBook Pros when they went to C2D.

Why not just buy a new one? A logic board costs $500+, you can sell your MacBook Pro on eBay, top up by say $700-$800, and get a refurb off the store easy!

You are voiding your warranty and risking permanent damage to your computer going about it this way. Not to mention your laptop will have absolutely 0 resale value if you pull it off.

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 23, 2005
Hey guys, thanks for the quick responses. I guess a bit of an explanation is in order. I have been a PC Tech for eight years and a Mac tech for four. I have performed many logic board upgrades and repairs on various mac models in the past, including PowerBook G4s. I bought this MacBook Pro on release day two years ago and it has been a great machine. However, I am currently dual majoring in applied mathematics and statistics and computer science, and I therefore need as much speed as I can muster. I would simply sell this computer and buy a new one, but it will actually be cheaper for me to keep this one because I have already upgraded the hard drive to 250GB, the optical drive to a dual layer SuperDrive, the RAM to 2GB and the wireless to 802.11N (this was all a LOT cheaper than it might sound). As such, I know I would lose money on selling this computer (people don't like to pay for things that have been modified, regardless of the quality of the work). In addition, I am fairly certain I know people who can get me a Core 2 Duo logic board in the under $500 range, which makes it cheaper than selling this for $900-1200 and tossing in the extra money necessary to buy a Core 2 Duo. I know the casing itself hasn't been modified between revisions, and the shape of the logic board is also the same (the upgrades to FW800 and SR were pin-compatible chip replacements IIRC) except that there is now a FW800 port on the MBP, meaning I would also need to replace the bottom casing. Therefore, I guess my real question was whether people know if the screen from the originals (non-LED backlight) was compatible with the logic board from the newer revisions, (I just need to write code on it, I don't care about the brightness, etc...) and also if anyone knew for sure that all of the miscellaneous connectors (trackpad, speakers etc) were the same between revisions (I'm pretty sure they are, but I want to know for certain before spending $500). The real issue that prompted this is the CD MBPs inability to address more than 2GB of RAM, which is simply too low of a RAM ceiling for me to do my work efficiently. My goal is to upgrade this machine so that it's in the 2.4GHz Santa Rosa Platform with 4GB RAM range for around $500-$600. If I can do this, it should be able to happily last me for several more years.

n8b

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2009
upgrade

Did you ever figure this out? Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but my mbp is on the fritz and I'd rather spend $500 on a 2.3 c2d than on 1.8 cd or $1700 on a refurbished MBP.

dickchow

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2009
not only the logic board required to change, both L and R fans, 2 extra thermal sensors, replace 1 current sensors due to different location and different plugs.

moreover, the top lcd part need to change because the i-sight and microphone cable are different...(old one spilt to 2 plug, where the C2D is one plug)

and then you need a new bottom because the firewire 800 plug..

n8b

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2009
Hmm, looking at the repair guides

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Core-Duo-Logic-Board-Replacement/498/5
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/...Duo-Model-A1211-Logic-Board-Replacement/466/6

It looks like there are 2 connectors to the left side of the right fan in the SantaRosa MBPs, where there is only one for the fan in the old CD MBP. Anyone know what the extra connection is for?

MBP Core Duo
m61wVdlU2vn1vSKb.large

MBP Core 2 Duo Santa Rosa
GMkhsChEggOfgamG.large

n8b

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2009
Doh, didn't see your reply dickchow. So basically no I guess. :) I was really hoping to get something I could put 4gb in so I could leave my virtual machine open all the time. Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it.

n8b

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2009
moreover, the top lcd part need to change because the i-sight and microphone cable are different...(old one spilt to 2 plug, where the C2D is one plug)

One more question. It looks like the early Core 2 Duo display panels are the same as the Core duos, and the Santa Rosa and Penryn models moved to LED displays. So it's just the cables that are different on the LCD models (or the display assembly if purchased as such)? I'm looking at for parts and repair lappys on ebay and I want to make sure the logic board is the only expensive, trouble prone part I can't reuse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.