Possible to upgrade to ipad2 while not at home?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by yalag, Jul 28, 2011.

1. yalag macrumors 65816

My dad came to visit me for a couple of months out of the country and I wanted to upgrade his iPad to ipad2. Is this possible without having to sync with his home computer's iTunes first? Can I somehow restore his stuff from his Ipad on my Mac to the new ipad2? Obviously the goal is to keep all this apps data and pictures etc.

Thanks!

2. h00ligan macrumors 68030

YES

with third party software. If he is linked to a foreign store - doubtful he could do it here.

That said, I'd go to an apple store and see if they have a nifty solution. Again, third party apps could probably do this, but it would be a pain in the backside.

3. bri1212 macrumors 6502

Yes, add him as a new user account on your mac. Backup the stuff from his ipad, onto your mac. Then when you get the ipad 2 you can just restore the back up from it. If you have a mac, it's easy.

4. ElysiumY2K macrumors member

ElysiumY2K

5. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5274d Safari/7534.48.3)

So I upgrade him using my Mac then he's going to be able to sync again when he gets gone? I just want to confirm this because I don't want him to be Ina situation where he's going to have to come back to my mac to sync forever that would be silly.

6. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I don't think that's going to work. If you try to sync HIS iPad on YOUR computer that is probably tied to YOUR iTunes account, iTunes is going to want to wipe his iPad and start fresh, no? I don't think it will allow a back up and restore, because the iPad is registered to a different account.

Situations like this will be totally solved when iCloud is in full effect.