possible to use 2 external monitors with a MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by btownguy, Jul 9, 2009.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502a

I may be migrating to a MBP sometime in the future. I currently use a Vista desktop with two 22" LCD monitors. Is there any solution out there that will let me use both of these external monitors with a new MBP? Ideal config would have the MBP in the middle with a 22" LCD on each side of the laptop. I would like the dock/title bar on the laptop and be able to move windows over to each of the monitors.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The closest thing would be to span across those monitors using a DualHead. Otherwise you're limited to one independent external display.

3. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

That looks pretty close. It won't let me put the laptop in the middle, but it's probably close enough. From the FAQ:

Can I place my laptop in between the two monitors driven by DualHead2Go?
    While it may be physically possible to place your laptop monitor between the two external monitors, it is not recommended to do so, as your virtual desktop won't have the same configuration as your physical one. The monitors connected to DualHead2Go are viewed by your laptop as a single extra-wide display. Your mouse will move according to your virtual desktop, i.e. from one external monitor directly to the other, even if your laptop screen is between them.

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

5. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

What's the mac behavior when running these multiple-monitor solutions? I know on my Vista machine, my 2nd screen has no taskbar or anything. I can drag an application over to that screen. If I maximize the application, it just maximizes to that screen, not both screens. Ideally, this is the behavior I would like.

6. Snowbound macrumors regular

I believe that's the behavior that you will get with the Kensington. With the Maxtor since it's acting as one giant screen it will be slightly different. However, remember that OSX maximize doesn't behave the same way as windows maximize. So, in either case you can keep the dock on the MBP screen and then size the windows however you want and just drag them around.