Possible to use 24" ACD with a PC?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by btownguy, Aug 25, 2009.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502a

Once I reformat my new MBP with Snow Leopard this weekend, I am going to cut the cord and have that be my primary machine. In October I will reformat/reinstall my PC with Windows 7 and use it as a gaming machine only. I don't game much anymore, but I would like to have one screen on my desktop to use with both my MBP and my PC. I would prefer to get a 24" ACD.

I know it doesn't have multiple inputs, but is it possible (with an adapter or something) to connect the 24" ACD to a PC running an nVidia DVI video card?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Unless your GPU has Mini Display Port, it's impossible. There's an adapter coming later on this year which allows you to use other inputs as well in 24" ACD but that costs 180$

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Is it the older DVI one or the new Mini Display Port one?

4. cretony38 macrumors member

cretony38

I have an Easel ACD 24"

AppCineDisplay 24" with a mini DVI (2002 model). I bought the adapter to the Mini DVI>VGA for $20 from the Apple store. works fine on the PC. I'm gonna try it out with a MINI next!

5. benborman macrumors member

Who is making this adapter? Apple, or a third party manufacturer?

6. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I think there is a little confusion going on...

Just to clarify, the 23" ACD (older model - aluminum and white) will allow you to use an adapter, however the new 24" LED ACD (glossy, with aluminum and black) has a Mini DP - and currently there isn't an adapter that works, unless you have a PC graphics card that supports Mini DP (which there are only a couple).

There are a few manufacturers that have said they're comming out with an adapter for the 24", but nothing has been released.

7. foodle macrumors 6502