Possible to use 3.0 iPhone software to geotag photos on my camera?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fibbons, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Fibbons macrumors member

I was hoping that somebody that knows about the hardware limitations of the iPhone and what the software can do could answer this -

Would it be possible using the new accessories support to use the iPhone to geotag photos on my SLR camera? I have a Canon 400D (though I'm sure people that have other cameras would be interested too)

Either through a connection from the camera to the dock, or perhaps adding a reciever to the camera which can communicate to the phone through bluetooth?

If you can do this with the diabetic device then hopefully this would be capable with a camera. It would be so useful as most people have thier phones on them at all times - so to have the camera connected constantly to the phone in your pocket would be great.

Any ideas?

2. wil49 macrumors member

Canon would need to design the camera side of the interface, but no reason why not. But currently as it stands a developer obviously couldnt just make an app, that would directly geo tag the photos.

3. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

A very interesting idea, hope someone is knowledgeable enough to make it happen.

4. marvinGS macrumors newbie

From the site: http://www.navigadget.com/index.php/2006/08/02/geotag-your-pictures-with-sony-gps-cs1

I guest the same thing can be achieved with iphone too. The only problem is the application must be open the whole time but apple wont let background applications.

update: I realized there is a thread suggesting several such applications:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=674501&highlight=geotag

5. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

There is an App and Desktop software that is currently under Apple review to do exactly what you are asking. It is called PlaceTagger. It is only available for Mac currently but they are working on all OS formats. If you have any questions please email the developers.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

6. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

There are also a number of other apps available that just keep logging GPS data. All they require is that your camera has the same exact time set on it as your iPhone. Afterwards the GPS log file can be exported or emailed and then you can use any number of geotagging programs to import the data to your photos (it matches up the times in the log file with the timestamp on your photos).

7. Krikke68 macrumors newbie

The one I'm using is GeoLogTag and it greatly simplifies my geotagging workflow. It records my position during a photoshoot and when I upload my photos to my Mac, GeoLogTag geotags my photos over WiFi. After importing the photos in iPhoto they show up in Places immediatly.
    So this app doesn't email GPS log files and no extra software is required on my Mac. The direct geotagging over WiFi is something I haven't found with other apps.
    Except for a GPS enabled camera I can't think of an easier geotagging workflow.