Possible to use an iPhone only as an iPod?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Winstonp, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

I know this question sounds simple, but I just want to be sure. Here's why: I'm going abroad for a year and I do not want any crazy charges. In addition, I'm suspending my AT&T service. Any suggestions? Will it work in airplane mode without a sim?

2. dragonmantek macrumors regular

dragonmantek

your iphone will not work without a sim card.

however, you can jailbreak it, and be a very happy camper.

3. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

You don't have to jailbreak to use it as an iPod. Take the sim card out or leave it in and select airplane mode. Plus, if you're suspending your service, you won't get charged because you won't have service.

It's perfectly possible to use your iPhone as just an iPod without a sim card. Don't listen to dragonmantek.

4. dragonmantek macrumors regular

dragonmantek

maybe so, but when I got an iphone 3g, i couldn't use it unless it had a sim card in it, and I had to jailbreak it. that was a while ago though, it might have changed.

5. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Pull the SIM card out and try for yourself real quick. I'm curious to know now, as well. I'm fairly certain that it is possible. After all, when people upgrade to the 3G, I HIGHLY doubt their 2G iPhones are rendered completely inactive.

6. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Wtf are you talking about?! That has got to be one of the most false anecdotal claims Ive ever heard regarding the iPhone. That doesn't make sense....Why would you need a SIM card to perform non-cellular related tasks on the iPhone?

7. Winstonp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

I just pulled the sim and put it into airplane mode. It works just fine. However, if it ever needs to be reset w/ the computer, am I screwed?

8. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

When I picked up my 3GS this past weekend they gave me a "dummy" SIM card for my 3G so I could still use it as an iPod.

9. brisweeney macrumors regular

brisweeney

im sitting looking at my iPhone 3G right now, working perfectly with no sim card in it. all it says is "no sim" all the non cellular data functions will work fully.

infact heres a pic of it from my 3Gs!

[​IMG]

10. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

woah woah woah. ya, you're right and he's wrong, but let's stay calm and focused on the OP's question.

short and sweet: you can take the SIM card out and use it as an iPod. however, if you want to update or sync the phone, you will have to put the SIM card back in. so if you're going out of the country and will want to sync or update, bring the SIM card with you and keep it some place safe

I gave my friend my 2G when I got my 3G, and we had to put my SIM card back in whenever he connected it to his iTunes and it was never fun driving over to his house to do it. Long story short, we almost lost the SIM card between the seats of my car. It was not fun fishing it out with pencils and the lanyard I have on my keychain

11. dragonmantek macrumors regular

dragonmantek

i stand corrected, i guess you can. that's a great thing.

your question is answered ;P

12. Winstonp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

Does the sim card attempt to connect to a network when you do this syncing? My AT&T account will no longer be active and I'll be in a place that will likely charge unbelievable charges should it somehow connect and piggy back on other carriers. After I suspend my account, will it still sync?

Anyone want to do a combined trade for an iTouch?? LOL

13. rkb37 macrumors newbie

My wife is using my old 2G iPhone as an iPhone Touch (as I call it). She keeps Airplane mode ON always but leaves the SIM in (the SIM is no longer active, since she uses a different phone). She has no problems syncing with iTunes, or even upgrading/updating the OS. I've heard the SIM card is "married" to the iPhone, and if it's not in there, or a different one is in there, it won't restore or update the OS. And as far as I can tell, the SIM card just has to be in the iPhone in order to restore it or update the OS (syncing is news to me), it doesn't make any data connections. Airplane mode wouldn't be Airplane mode if it made any data connections (other than through wifi).

14. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i do the same with my old 2g iphone. it's sim is not active but in the phone. it works like a ipod touch with wifi active, camera works as well. only drawback is that it still gives you that warning that is not compatible with older sound docks but that can be ignored without problem. advantage is that i still get all software upgrades for free while OS3.0 costs $10 for ipod touch. supposedly i can reacitivate the sim card and the iphone functionality with a new at&t contract but i haven't tried that.

15. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

If you don't have the SIM card in, you'll still be able to sync with iTunes like normal... just don't try to restore because then you'll need to insert the SIM card and have an internet connection to activate the phone again. Once it's activated, you can take the SIM card out again.

However, if you don't have to restore, then you'll be all set. WIthout a SIM card or even with a de-activated SIM, you won't get charged for anything.