possible to use an OEM 10.6 disk on another system?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gr8gatzby, Oct 19, 2009.

1. gr8gatzby macrumors member

Is it possible to use a 10.6 disk that was included with my purchase of a MacBook to perform a clean install of snow leopard on my 2 year old Mac Pro? I remember back in the system 9 days all we had to do was a key combination(command-shift-K methinks?) at the install screen to use the system discs on other systems...

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So you're asking us to see if you can pirate OSX?

Well the answer is no, because the install disks are keyed so you can only install the OS on the same type of computers MB->MB

3. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

Just buy one :p

4. Pixellated macrumors 65816

5. nigameash macrumors 6502

the drivers, etc are built for the system you got the disk with, so it would create compatibility errors in some cases. apple puts a disk lock on the dvd so that the disk will check the system its being run on before installing! theres an easy way to disable it and burn the image on a new disk and then install any system you want! just use your best friend: google :)

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Would only work if you purchased the MacBook during the transition period and the MacBook you purchased came with a Drop In DVD.

7. gr8gatzby thread starter macrumors member

so the definition of piracy now includes software that was legally purchased?

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You purchased one license. And not only that a license tied to a specific machine. So yes installing that software, in contravention of the license you accepted, is piracy.