Possible to use Cinema Display speakers w/ External Speakers?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by illest813, May 18, 2011.

1. illest813 macrumors member

Hi all,

I have been searching around the internet and forums and could not find an answer to this. Right now I have my macbook air hooked up to my 27" LED Cinema Display. (Obviously) the Display is hooked up through mini-Display port, and I have a separate audio cable running to my Altec Lansing speakers.

So my question is, is it possible to have sound playing from both the Display and external Speakers? This scenario is different, since the display is hooked up via mini-Display port. Otherwise, I could just use an audio splitter I am assuming.

I'd like to do this with the cables already set in place if possible. Any input would be appreciated (although my neighbors may not like to see me get this answered). Thanks.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

usb-audio card? - would let you pick one or the other.

airport express? - you could pump itunes out the big speakers while not being deafened when you send mail or discover some web page with built in audio.

3. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

This is what I do. It's nice because right now I'm listening to iTunes through both my Cinema Display and my AirPlay speakers at the same time. Fills the room with sound.

4. innominato5090 macrumors 6502

innominato5090

or just plug the external speakers into your Mac and create a new audio interface with the midi preference app
    see here