Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
We now have wireless N computers with an N Extreme. But also a G? Tivo, and 2 iPhones. The Express was used as a booster for an old non-N laptop that is now replaced and also to run the iPhones.

Since the Express is dumbing down the two N computers, is it possible to somehow separate the Express for the sole purpose of running the iPhones/Tivo in a way that would enable the N Extreme to run the N computers at optimum (N)? :eek:

My husband feels it's not possible, but that's not good enough for me. I bet there's a way. :) Would anyone know of a method to pull this off? Thank you.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
We now have wireless N computers with an N Extreme. But also a G? Tivo, and 2 iPhones. The Express was used as a booster for an old non-N laptop that is now replaced and also to run the iPhones.

Since the Express is dumbing down the two N computers, is it possible to somehow separate the Express for the sole purpose of running the iPhones/Tivo in a way that would enable the N Extreme to run the N computers at optimum (N)? :eek:

My husband feels it's not possible, but that's not good enough for me. I bet there's a way. :) Would anyone know of a method to pull this off? Thank you.
That is exactly what I do. I connect the Express to my Airport Extreme via ethernet and give it its own network name (different than the N Extreme wireless network name). The AEBS is set to 5 GHz N-only mode and the Express is set to G-only mode. Works like a charm. I have a N network for my laptops and G network for the iPhone.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
Oh my. :) Now, is the only way to do this is to link the Express & Extreme together via hardwire? Can this be done wirelessly at all? Cuz I think since the main point of getting the Express was to get ANY connectivity in the far end of the house, I believe having the Express near the Extreme might not run the phones & any minimal Tivo wireless transfers.

So, If I play around with this.... Instead of nameing the network ONE name that rules both devices, you give them each their own network name, and create other settings. I know each one in Airport Utility has an option to 1) Create a wireless network 2) participate in a wds network 3) extend.
I assume besides the renaming you choose #1 for each device?
Is there much more to this than what I'm speculating?

Thanks so much!

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Oh my. :) Now, is the only way to do this is to link the Express & Extreme together via hardwire? Can this be done wirelessly at all? Cuz I think since the main point of getting the Express was to get ANY connectivity in the far end of the house, I believe having the Express near the Extreme might not run the phones & any minimal Tivo wireless transfers.

So, If I play around with this.... Instead of nameing the network ONE name that rules both devices, you give them each their own network name, and create other settings. I know each one in Airport Utility has an option to 1) Create a wireless network 2) participate in a wds network 3) extend.
I assume besides the renaming you choose #1 for each device?
Is there much more to this than what I'm speculating?

Thanks so much!

If you don't connect the Express via hardwire, it won't be able to connect to the internet since the Extreme is the one with the connection going outside. You could get a cheapo g router (or another Express) and connect it closer to the Extreme and wire the two like that. You can't extend an n only network to a g network.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
What you want is not possible without connecting the Express via ethernet like I described. Otherwise you are back to a mixed mode network where your G devices cause the N base stations to throttle back.

I do have two AEBS, both in 5GHz wireless mode, with one extending the other. I can hardwire my Express to either one.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
Thanks guys. We do have our old Netgear G router sitting here so perhaps we can use that with the Express boosting it if need be unless it would be a hassle.

But.... I wonder if it's simply possible to toggle N and N(b/g compatible) on and off as needed thru the Airport Utility. I wonder if by simply switching the router to N (5ghz) would disable the Express when the iPhones aren't needed, then toggle back to N(b/g). (bypassing the Express)... I suppose this would be a PITA but for doing any type of wireless transfer sessions - could work.
Is this possible to do by merely selecting N in Airport Utility?

Also, I was told that the N vs. N(b/g) is ONLY an issue for transferring/downloading, etc. and N exclusive has no value when not performing such functions. I disbelieve this cuz surely the Extreme in full N mode is a benefit to our N computers even if just surfing the net - right? maybe more range/oomph?

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Thanks guys. We do have our old Netgear G router sitting here so perhaps we can use that with the Express boosting it if need be unless it would be a hassle.

But.... I wonder if it's simply possible to toggle N and N(b/g compatible) on and off as needed thru the Airport Utility. I wonder if by simply switching the router to N (5ghz) would disable the Express when the iPhones aren't needed, then toggle back to N(b/g). (bypassing the Express)... I suppose this would be a PITA but for doing any type of wireless transfer sessions - could work.
Is this possible to do by merely selecting N in Airport Utility?

Also, I was told that the N vs. N(b/g) is ONLY an issue for transferring/downloading, etc. and N exclusive has no value when not performing such functions. I disbelieve this cuz surely the Extreme in full N mode is a benefit to our N computers even if just surfing the net - right? maybe more range/oomph?

Actually, you get more range in mixed mode than in 5 GHz n only. You internet connection is most certainly far slower than even g speeds so mixed mode is more than adequate. n only is only faster in machine-to-machine transfers or to something using the gigabit ethernet to the AEBS.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
I understand. I'll play around with separating out the iPhones perhaps this weekend. I plan to do a clean install of Leopard tomorrow so will be transferring data wirelessly for storage. For now, I'll try simply switching to Full N in my airport utility which I assume will bypass the express/g's. (unless someone tells me I'm wrong)....

Thanks guys! I might be back this weekend if I can't pull off the iPhone separate network thing.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I understand. I'll play around with separating out the iPhones perhaps this weekend. I plan to do a clean install of Leopard tomorrow so will be transferring data wirelessly for storage. For now, I'll try simply switching to Full N in my airport utility which I assume will bypass the express/g's. (unless someone tells me I'm wrong)....

Thanks guys! I might be back this weekend if I can't pull off the iPhone separate network thing.
If you were planning on wireless for Time Machine to an AirDisk (disk attached to your AEBS) then forget it. They removed support for that feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.