Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whgmkeller

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2016
Netherlands
Hello all. I have a Mac mini that is only used as media player. I don't want this to be running active all day long (only uses unnecessary energy), so I'm looking to power it up with Homekit when we intend to use it. Is this possible? So far, I haven't been able to figure out how to do this. The Mac mini is a modern model, late 2020 I believe, but NOT the M1 model.

I am able to power up the Mini using a Wake On LAN app on my iPhone, but it would be easier (for my wife) to be able to start up the Mini with Homekit, since she knows how to use that already.

Is this possible?

Thanks !

Willem
Netherlands

Last edited:

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
It's really simple, ¾ of what's there is adjusting Windows to work ;)
1: homekit-supported raspberry pi - about 15 Euros
2: microsd card - any
3: Homebridge - free

Copy the Homebridge image to microsd, attach raspberry to network and log in to homebridge homepage running on raspberry.
In the search bar enter WOL and press Enter. It should bring up Homebridge WOL, click on "install" and the plugin will be installed.
Now enter your mac mini MAC address to the plugin config.
Make sure Mac Mini has "wake for network access" enabled.
Save config, use "power button" to restart Homebridge.
Scan Homebridge QR code with Home app on your phone (adding new accessory).
Done. You Mac Mini should be seen in Home app.

whgmkeller

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2016
Netherlands
Wojtek, again: thanks for your suggestion. I can see that I could easily do this.
But the goal is to save energy and I don’t see the point in having a Rsspberry Pi power4d up 24/7 just to be able to power up a Mac Mini.

willem

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
I totally understand you. Actually it is the very same reason I retired my two 2010 Mac Minis from fileserver and media player duties and replaced them with (you guessed it) a Raspberry4 and an Odroid N2+. Both are attached to a power-over-ethernet switch and the peak consumption is less than 8W, about 2W in standby. While not 0, that's negligible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.