possible to use iPhone 3Gs without cell plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Oats, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Oats macrumors regular

Probably this question has been asked, but couldn't find anything after searching...

I am interested in an iPhone 3Gs, but don't want/need a cell plan. I only plan to use Wi-Fi, and never make cell calls (I'm a verizon customer, if you care).

Reasons the iPod touch doesn't meet my needs: no camera (and the video cam in the nano doesn't take stills). No GPS.

So in theory, could I buy a used iPhone 3Gs on craigslist sometime in the future, never use a calling plan, but continue to use the iPhone as an iPod touch BUT with GPS functionality and a camera? Would I still be able to download apps, etc, or will Apple lock it down if it's not on the cell network?

2. rjsmith18 macrumors member

rjsmith18

I know that the iPhone works without the SIM card, but I don't think you would be able to do gps without a plan. I know it uses both wifi and cell towers to find its position prior to the satellite picking it up. You would also need a constant connection to wifi to see the maps.

3. countrydweller macrumors 6502

countrydweller

GPS will work, you will need a wireless signal to do much. As for getting apps, that would be a no go, unless you have a friend who would use their sim to get them for you, that might work.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

you wouldn't need a wireless signal, if you can access the app store you could purchase a 'sat nav' app which has all the maps already installed.

This has been discussed here before, just took me awhile to find it.

Looks like it can be done!

5. Oats thread starter macrumors regular

Why? Are you sure I can't use the App store just over Wi-Fi?

6. alent1234 macrumors 603

as far as i know apple will have your SIM card info and it's required for activation

7. countrydweller macrumors 6502

countrydweller

No, not sure, but payment is usually tied to an account, you wouldn't have one.

8. bstpierre macrumors 6502

Payment for apps is tied to your iTunes account, nothing to do with your AT&T account or SIM card.