Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
My internet has just gone down and I need to give an internet connection to the laptops and NAS units.

Is there a way to use the internet connection on my iphone through the router so that i connect to the router wifi as normal and can access both the network NAS units and the internet (using phone 3G connection)?

I have an apple time capsule but also have a TP Link N900 router and a Western Digital N900 router if they can do it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Depending on your carrier (I have VZW) you can create a hot spot and connect your computer to that hotspot. Not sure if its feasible to do that to the router, but I've used my phone to my computer when I lose my internet one time.

You could chew through your bandwidth quota pretty quickly though

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Depending on your carrier (I have VZW) you can create a hot spot and connect your computer to that hotspot. Not sure if its feasible to do that to the router, but I've used my phone to my computer when I lose my internet one time.

You could chew through your bandwidth quota pretty quickly though

I can create a hotspot and connect to it on my laptop but don't know how to connect my router to it so the network and devices have access to the net.

I have a totally unlimited data plan

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
I can create a hotspot and connect to it on my laptop but don't know how to connect my router to it so the network and devices have access to the net.

I have a totally unlimited data plan

Most routers will not be able to handle this, but there are some that are designed to use a hotspot and create a network. The Cradlepoint Wireless Router MBR95 for example.

Beelzbub

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2012
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=33-156-307&IsVirtualParent=1

I have one of these and it works and works well.

Think of it as a wireless switch, essentially, that's what it is. You tell it which wireless access point you want it to attach to, in this case your iPhone. Then plug a network cable from it into your network, release and renew IP addresses and your devices are back on the internet.

This little guy has saved me many many many times.

Edit: Or plug a network cable from it into the internet port on your router, you may have to configure your router, but if its set to obtain an IP address automatically, you should be good to go, this would save you from renewing IP addresses on your devices, assuming your router is doing DHCP.

Last edited:

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
I managed to do it with a wireless range extender I had lying around. I entered the SSID and password of the wireless hotspot on my phone into the extender then plugged an ethernet cable into the ethernet out of the range extender and plugged it into the WAN in port on my router.

= Bingo . The router now has internet access.

tvaught

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2017
I managed to do it with a wireless range extender I had lying around. I entered the SSID and password of the wireless hotspot on my phone into the extender then plugged an ethernet cable into the ethernet out of the range extender and plugged it into the WAN in port on my router.

= Bingo . The router now has internet access.

I can confirm that a WIFI range extender (Netgear AC750) can connect to an iPad hotspot and share the internet connection via a router (Airport Extreme) connected to the extender's Ethernet port. This was a great solution to provide an internet connection for 14 Raspberry Pi's that had mac addresses configured on the router to give particular IP addresses to each RPi. One thing that I wrestled with: the Netgear would not connect with an apostrophe in the network name (as is usually the case with names like Travis's iPad). Changed the name -- worked like a charm.

Thanks

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Load DDWRT or Tomato to your home router and turn on the 5GHz radio and set it to connect as a client to your hotspot. Then you'll get wired ports and the other wireless band for internet. This is what I do for my home internet, which lets me use my wired devices and not have to have everything connected to the hotspot directly.

GGW

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2017
I can confirm that a WIFI range extender (Netgear AC750) can connect to an iPad hotspot and share the internet connection via a router (Airport Extreme) connected to the extender's Ethernet port. This was a great solution to provide an internet connection for 14 Raspberry Pi's that had mac addresses configured on the router to give particular IP addresses to each RPi. One thing that I wrestled with: the Netgear would not connect with an apostrophe in the network name (as is usually the case with names like Travis's iPad). Changed the name -- worked like a charm.

Thanks
[doublepost=1512061174][/doublepost]

Thanks
tvaought,
I've been trying to figure this same situation out. I need to use my iphone hotspot data as the modem to connect to my router. Based on what you've stated above, I just want to make sure I understand it correctly.
I just bought an AC750 range extender and now if I understand correct, simply plug it in and let it connect to my mobile hotspot. Then use an ethernet cable to connect the extender to my netgear router at the internet "In Port" (yellow). Is that correct?
Amazon will deliver my extender tomorrow and I can't wait to try this out. If it works correctly, then this will save me major headache for internet access where I live. My daily work depends on internet access so your advise in this is invaluable.

Greg

tvaught

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2017
[doublepost=1512061174][/doublepost]
tvaought,
I've been trying to figure this same situation out. I need to use my iphone hotspot data as the modem to connect to my router. Based on what you've stated above, I just want to make sure I understand it correctly.
I just bought an AC750 range extender and now if I understand correct, simply plug it in and let it connect to my mobile hotspot. Then use an ethernet cable to connect the extender to my netgear router at the internet "In Port" (yellow). Is that correct?
Amazon will deliver my extender tomorrow and I can't wait to try this out. If it works correctly, then this will save me major headache for internet access where I live. My daily work depends on internet access so your advise in this is invaluable.

Greg

That's exactly how I did it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.