possible to use RedSn0w + Gevey SIM at same time?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by patent10021, May 19, 2011.

1. patent10021, May 19, 2011
    Last edited: May 19, 2011

patent10021 macrumors 68030

patent10021

I want to JB for iPhone tethering and using USB thumb drives on my iPad.

AppleDev team is slow so I want to use the Gevey SIM for use outside Japan.

Can I have both at the same time? I'm assuming yes since they have nothing to do with the other right?

2. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

3. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68030

patent10021

Thanks Obama :p

Btw, sort of OT but...since there is no JB for iPad2 yet, is it possible to tether iPad2 to iP4 3G? The iPad2 doesn't need a JB does it? It's only the iPhone that needs the JB?

Thanks

4. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

If you have the iPhone create a hotspot then no

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you can tether your i4 internet to the ipad using either wifi tethering or Bluetooth.
    Only the iphone would need to be JB.

6. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68030

patent10021

Well the iPhone 4 would create a hotspot if it was JB. The Hotspot feature is for AT&T users and is turned off on other carriers such as SoftBank here in Japan. As I understand it a JB enables this HS feature since it's in the iOS but disabled on some carriers.

Because of what I said above right? The iPad 2 just needs to see/find any wireless connection created by a JB iPhone 4 right? Therefore the iPad can continue to be updated via iTunes without any issues.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, if you JB you can enable that hotspot feature by installing tetherme, MyWi, pdanet or other packages.
    Then you'd be able to tether to your ipad 2 with no probs.

8. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68030

patent10021

Thanks

Btw, I'm confused between all these methods. RedSn0w, Pwnage, GreenPois0n etc. GreenPois0n looks like it's a one click and you're done deal. Convenient but wipes your device? What if I make an iTunes backup? How would I JB but continue to use the same data in my AddressBook? RedSn0w doesn't require a wipe/restore right?

Seems like iClarified's method is pretty easy but GreenPois0n's looks even easier.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Most of them use the same method. You just gotta put your phone in DFU mode by following the on screen instructions and that's it.
    Depending on what firmware your phone is on you have to use the appropriate program. GP works for 4.2.1 but nothing above that, redsnow works for the latest 4.3.3, pwnage creates a custom JB firmware file etc...
    They all do different things for different versions.
    Go with redsnow, it works well and its solid.

10. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68030

patent10021

OK, thanks. It doesn't mess with my current settings right? Of course I'll be backing up, but is this a restore to a new install/iOS or does it leave my phone the way it is? And if you update using iTunes and break the JB does that update only touch the JB? Both ways, your phone data stays intact?

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, it will leave everything the way it is on your phone but will add cydia to your desktop and from there you can install anything you want.
    And yes if you update or restore to official firmware you will lose the JB but all your stuff will still be there when you restore from backup. Like contacts, texts, email accounts etc....

12. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68030

patent10021

Thanks AppleJuiced. You have good patience. You'd be a good tech :D

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    Thanks, I am:D

14. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Yes, i can confirm it works. I use my 3GS bluetooth to tether my ipad 2.

I tried it with my friend's ipod touch 4 (4.3.3) but it wouldn't work with bluetooth tether. Weird.

15. patent10021, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 20, 2011

patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68030

patent10021

So the iPad just recognizes the iPhone's newly created "wifi hot spot" as a wifi network and boom, you're good to go? Sweetness.

Bonus Q. My friend wants a new MBA but I'm trying to convince her to stay away from buying notebooks since she doesn't need it for work. Future is iOS/Cloud etc. An iPad would be better suited for her. One problem. We are trying to figure out how she can always backup her iPhone without having a Macbook/iTunes. She hasn't even used iTunes since she got her iPhone. If it's only her address book, email and photos she's worried about, she can just use MobileMe right? Any suggestions? If I JB her iPad2 (when a JB arrives), she can also use her 32pin connector for all USB flash drives which she gets from friends. Music, movies etc.