Possible to use the LED ACD on a PC?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by OceanView, Apr 4, 2009.

1. OceanView macrumors 65816

Specifically is there an adaptor that goes from Female Mini Display port to DVI (Male?)

I want to use my PC with the new 24" ACD monitor but wasn't sure if there was an adaptor for this.

2. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

3. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

Surely Apple knows that PCs have a much greater market share. Why would they NOT want to sell Apple Cinema Displays to PC users?
    Is there another reason besides no adapter exists that it would work? I'm sure if Apple sold a $60 dollar adapter cable PC users would scoop some ACDs up.

4. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

There is no other reason. An adapter doesn't exist and that's that.

Now why doesn't an adapter exist ? Because displayport and DVI signals aren't the same. However, Displayport can output DVI signal if the remote connection is DVI. That's why the Apple Laptops have an adapter for DVI monitors. The opposite is not true though, as displayport can't receive the DVI signal, you'll need to convert the DVI signal using an active adapter. This is more complicated to make.

The best you can hope in the near future, when PCs move to Displayport is either than card manufactures use MiniDisplayport on their cards or that a Displayport to MiniDisplayport adapter is made.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

The typical display adapter on the Apple web site is from $19-29.

if the demand appears, then Apple or a third party vendor may make one.