Possible to virtualize 10.6.8 in 10.8 (Server or standard) ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cubytus, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Cubytus macrumors 65816

Hello community,

I wondered if it would be possible to virtualize Mac OS X 10.6.8 in Mountain Lion, and if yes, if it would require the Server version or any other kind of software.

Any idea?

2. bumper314 macrumors member

Both VMWare Fusion and Parallels Desktop for Mac are able to virtualize 10.6.8 Server out of the box. 10.6.8's end-user license agreement doesn't allow you to virtualize the desktop version, but you can make it work with a few hacks.

If you're an Apple OS X developer ($99/year), you have access to a "free" license for 10.5 Server and 10.6 Server, which expires in a year or so. This is what I use for my own testing.

3. Cubytus thread starter macrumors 65816

Are those the only two able to virtualize 10.6.8? I routinely use VirtualBox, although I was never able to successfully virtualize 10.7 (the reverse operation)

Ironic is I thought it would require a server host, not a server guest. Not being an Apple dev would leave me with only the price of 10.6.8 Server to shell out, and virtualization suite?

4. bumper314 macrumors member

I'm confident VirtualBox can do it as well, but I haven't personally tried.
    In my opinion, VMWare is well worth the price.

10.6.8 server used to be quite expensive ($500), but it looks like you can pick it up pretty cheap now on ebay ($40).

Are you actually planning on running a production server like this, or do you just need 10.6.8 for testing?

5. ratsg macrumors 6502

6. Cubytus thread starter macrumors 65816

I am not really in favor of proprietary software, unless no other good alternative exist. Therefore, what would be the significant differences between VirtualBox and VMWare?

Is it that expensive to get the 10.6.8 server, while the 10.7 server is so cheap, at $20?

I don't need any server, as written in post 1 and 3. I just need what 10.6.8 provides that was removed from subsequent versions of OS X.

7. ratsg macrumors 6502

Its difficult sometimes to beat free.

I own a copy of 10.6 server. It came bundled with my Mac Mini I bought in September 2010.

8. onekerato macrumors regular

On a related note, if you're choosing between VMWare Fusion and Parallels Desktop, I would recommend VMWare Fusion for the reason that one license of VMWare allows you to install on all your Macs, whereas 1 licence of Parallels Desktop is only valid for 1 activation.

MacTech does some very detailed reviews of virtualization software, usually published around Oct-November when new versions come out.