Possible to waive $36 activation fee on new At&t account?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrXiro, Nov 4, 2011.

1. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

After checking out another thread about waiving the $18 dollar upgrade fee. I'm wondering if any of you have any tips on getting At&t to waive the $36 dollar fee for adding a line to an account. My parent's account has been around since 2007 and I previously had an account with them since 1999. I moved to Sprint in 2008 to get a SERO account which I've since given to my wife.

I will be porting my number over from Sprint and paying a $60 ETF to get back onto At&t so saving $36 would be great. I'm moving over to my parent's plan to save some money to begin with...

Much thanks for any tips.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Do they usually do it?

Anyone have any luck?

4. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

No.

Call and ask, the worst they'll say is no.

5. marci65 macrumors newbie

When DH and I became ATT customers in 2010, we were told that if his or my company had a discount program with ATT, it's possible that the activation fee could be waived. So it's worth having them look up your employer and asking if ATT will waive the activation fee or reduce it as part of that discount program.

6. stickybuns macrumors 6502

Verizon was running a special when I ordered my phone, so there was no activation fee. Ask AT&T to match it. Locking someone into a two year contract in exchange for waving a $35 fee just seems like a no brainer to me.

7. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

Manager at the store usually does it for us ....

8. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

Call and ask. I hope you don't get a psycho female agent like I did when I asked them to waive the $18.00 upgrade fee.

Good luck!

9. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

How would we know what they might do for you? Only you know your account status and how much you've spent with them. Although it would make you happy, it's not like they hid it from you. The fee is clearly spelled out and you have already agreed when you enter into an agreement with them. If you don't make a purchase and don't enter into a contract you won't be charged.

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

call and ask be nice! and nobody knows 100% it's possible they will and possible they won't.

11. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

12. brand macrumors 601

brand

This is not aimed at the OP but more of a generalized statement. Since the $36 and $18 fees are in the contract that people signed why do they think that they are entitled to not paying it? Since people feel that they are above paying that cost that means that everyone else has to absorb the cost for them. I have had a contract with AT&T>Cingular>AT&T since 1998 and have always paid the fees because that is part of owning a cell phone and signing a contract. Sure there are valid reasons for being excused from certain fees but self entitlement is not one of them. The influx of these posts and people with self entitlement issues these days is sickening.

13. Will69 macrumors regular

Contracts and common sense vary. I don't mean for this particular case, but since you said you were speaking in general, I'll address.

I recently returned an ordered AT&T 4S that arrived late to my house. I was with box in hand at the store when the agent initially wanted to charge me their 35 dollar restocking fee. They ended up "doing me the favor" of waiving the fee. Yeah right.

It was totally their bungled process, and they're fault, that made the order arrive so far after their promised date. If they wanted to stick to their contract, they probably could have stuck me with the $35 restocking fee.

When a written contract differs too much from what is reasonable expectation, I no longer hold the opinion that anyone trying to free themselves of it is just merely being selfish or has a sense of entitlement.

I'll grant you that for many people, trying to get anything for free, for any reason, is always their goal. Shame on them. But for many others, keep in mind they are trying to get a little freebie from what is essentially a nuisance element in a very long contract.

14. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

Since 1995 when I got my first cell phone I have not paid any fees. I feel that paying fees is not part of owning a cell phone and contracts were made to be broken. There is always a reason to be excused from fees, and self entitlement is among the best of them. The influx of these post and other self entitled people like me these days is refreshing.

See how that was a complete waste of a post. .....