Possible to warp a MacBook Air on an uneven table?

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Kind of a silly question but I have this small table in front of my couch where I watch TV and wanted to keep my MacBook Air on it. The table is slightly uneven (it is plastic) so not all four of the MacBook Air's feet touch the table, only three do while one is left hanging.

Is it possible for the MacBook Air to get warped or do you think the aluminum is sturdy enough? Granted I won't be pounding on the thing but I will obviously do some typing which would put some pressure on it.

Durious

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Kind of a silly question but I have this small table in front of my couch where I watch TV and wanted to keep my MacBook Air on it. The table is slightly uneven (it is plastic) so not all four of the MacBook Air's feet touch the table, only three do while one is left hanging.

Is it possible for the MacBook Air to get warped or do you think the aluminum is sturdy enough? Granted I won't be pounding on the thing but I will obviously do some typing which would put some pressure on it.
doubtful without a lot of applied force...

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
This is actually a big problem. If all 4 of the MBA's feet aren't flat on the surface, you'll start to notice keyboard keys sticking from the frame slightly warping, and shortly after that the lid won't seat properly since the bottom part of the aluminum chassis isn't lined up with the aluminum of the lid.

It's because there is so little aluminum in the casing, it's basically a bunch of melted down beer cans. Hopefully they come out with a Scandium MBA casing soon.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
This is actually a big problem. If all 4 of the MBA's feet aren't flat on the surface, you'll start to notice keyboard keys sticking from the frame slightly warping, and shortly after that the lid won't seat properly since the bottom part of the aluminum chassis isn't lined up with the aluminum of the lid.

It's because there is so little aluminum in the casing, it's basically a bunch of melted down beer cans. Hopefully they come out with a Scandium MBA casing soon.
Yeah but I know for a fact it is the table that is uneven because it rests flat on a normal desk.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
Yeah but I know for a fact it is the table that is uneven because it rests flat on a normal desk.
I realize that. I am saying that using your macbook air on an uneven surface can cause bending and warping of the frame. You aren't even supposed to pick it up by it's edge, because the weight can slightly tweak it. You are supposed to only grab it by the sides, not the front.

There's youtube videos on this, and even some people who were going to make stainless steel truss rods to go inside the casing.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
I realize that. I am saying that using your macbook air on an uneven surface can cause bending and warping of the frame. You aren't even supposed to pick it up by it's edge, because the weight can slightly tweak it. You are supposed to only grab it by the sides, not the front.

There's youtube videos on this, and even some people who were going to make stainless steel truss rods to go inside the casing.
This doesn't reflect my experience at all, with 3 Airs. They are robust, and are NOT going to bend this easily. Stainless steel truss rods? Come on....

HstephenG

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2012
Not sure it is worth risking an expensive computer due to the (cheap?) plastic table. The potential damage to one side, doesn' t the uneven table and corresponding wobble annoy you anyway?

lippyt

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010

I can confirm this. It wouldn't cause noticable warping, just an extreme loosening of the base plate.

Both uneven surfaces while resting your palms on the hand rest and holding your MBA (while opened) with 1 hand on an extremity (such as the either side with ports) will cause the base plate to loosen.

The only way to remedy this is to reseat the screws (highlighted in another thread)

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
I can confirm this. It wouldn't cause noticable warping, just an extreme loosening of the base plate.

Both uneven surfaces while resting your palms on the hand rest and holding your MBA (while opened) with 1 hand on an extremity (such as the either side with ports) will cause the base plate to loosen.

The only way to remedy this is to reseat the screws (highlighted in another thread)
Having to occasionally tighten some screws is a much different picture that warping the case of a computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.