Possible to warp a MacBook Air on an uneven table?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Kendo, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

Kind of a silly question but I have this small table in front of my couch where I watch TV and wanted to keep my MacBook Air on it. The table is slightly uneven (it is plastic) so not all four of the MacBook Air's feet touch the table, only three do while one is left hanging.

Is it possible for the MacBook Air to get warped or do you think the aluminum is sturdy enough? Granted I won't be pounding on the thing but I will obviously do some typing which would put some pressure on it.

2. Durious macrumors 6502

doubtful without a lot of applied force...

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

put a coaster or something under the fourth leg

4. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

This is actually a big problem. If all 4 of the MBA's feet aren't flat on the surface, you'll start to notice keyboard keys sticking from the frame slightly warping, and shortly after that the lid won't seat properly since the bottom part of the aluminum chassis isn't lined up with the aluminum of the lid.

It's because there is so little aluminum in the casing, it's basically a bunch of melted down beer cans. Hopefully they come out with a Scandium MBA casing soon.

5. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah but I know for a fact it is the table that is uneven because it rests flat on a normal desk.

6. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I realize that. I am saying that using your macbook air on an uneven surface can cause bending and warping of the frame. You aren't even supposed to pick it up by it's edge, because the weight can slightly tweak it. You are supposed to only grab it by the sides, not the front.

There's youtube videos on this, and even some people who were going to make stainless steel truss rods to go inside the casing.

7. AndyinAtl macrumors member

Ive had mine a couple ofdays and it seems pretty robust to me.

8. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

This doesn't reflect my experience at all, with 3 Airs. They are robust, and are NOT going to bend this easily. Stainless steel truss rods? Come on....

9. HstephenG macrumors newbie

Not sure it is worth risking an expensive computer due to the (cheap?) plastic table. The potential damage to one side, doesn' t the uneven table and corresponding wobble annoy you anyway?

10. lippyt macrumors member

I can confirm this. It wouldn't cause noticable warping, just an extreme loosening of the base plate.

Both uneven surfaces while resting your palms on the hand rest and holding your MBA (while opened) with 1 hand on an extremity (such as the either side with ports) will cause the base plate to loosen.

The only way to remedy this is to reseat the screws (highlighted in another thread)

11. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Having to occasionally tighten some screws is a much different picture that warping the case of a computer.