Possible to Water Damage a Laptop Like This?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by retinaprouser, Jul 29, 2012.

1. retinaprouser macrumors newbie

I use my retina pro on my stomach while shirtless at home sometimes. This causes a thin layer of sweat to build up on the bottom of the laptop's base. For others who do this and have experience with this do you think there is any chance that this sweat could enter the pro from the bottom and cause water damage? I know that sounds ridiculous but I just want to be careful.

2. thebritishguy macrumors member

I am not even going to ask what sites you are browsing half naked.

A simple solution below

http://www.walmart.com/browse/men/a...HNShopByCategory6Shirts&facet=category:Shirts

3. Spicedham macrumors regular

4. theineffablebob macrumors regular

Unlikely to cause water damage but it will stain the bottom of your laptop, probably yellow.

5. pHeNom macrumors regular

lmao!:D

6. sweetbrat, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012

sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

How sweaty are you getting that you're worried about setting off the liquid sensor? :eek: Maybe you should get a laptop desk (or a shirt) to put between you and the computer. Or turn a fan on. Or something. The thought of a sweaty MBP is just kinda gross.

I know some people have had issues with their MBPs pitting in the area where their wrists rest...seems to be some sort of reaction with the metal and the oils from their skin. So you might want to keep an eye out for any pitting on the bottom where it's getting covered in sweat.

So, I'm not trying to be mean here or accuse here, but I'm honestly curious...is there any chance that you've spilled something on your MBP and are tying to find a plausible story to tell Apple about what happened so that they'll cover it under warranty? Because if that's the goal, this isn't the right story.

7. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

I could see it happening if hes playing games. They get pretty hot on the bottom when doing intensive applications.

8. korbearus10 macrumors member

Unless you're producing a pool of sweat, I doubt you'll damage your MacBook by having some sweat touch the bottom plate

9. wethackrey macrumors 6502

OK. I just want you to know that I'm going to be reeling from that visual for some time. Thanks for that.

"For others who do this..." Really? Not only are you doing something with your Mac that you'd rather do mostly naked, but whatever it is you're doing is causing you to sweat like a yak. Geez I did not need this right now. I just ate.

If I were you, I'd be very concerned. Assuming you can't find some help in curtailing this bizarre behavior, I think this solution might work for you. Just unroll it and climb in. Adding the girl to the scenario might help as well.

[​IMG]

10. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

That would probably burn.

11. joshtheburrito macrumors member

And this is the reason i don't buy used laptops off Ebay:D

12. noteple macrumors 65816

Practice safe computing. A light weight cloth across the bottom wouldn't hurt.
    Maybe a whole new market for laptop diapers.

13. chrisvee macrumors regular

This.

Or, put a paper towel under your MacBook while you use it on your chest. :cool:

14. igiboi macrumors member

15. jcpb macrumors 6502a

Why?

As if being rendered sterile because too much heat was being absorbed by your private parts isn't enough grounds for worry...

16. arashb macrumors 6502

If you're trying to cool off, I'm sure wearing your rMBP causes more heat than a shirt would.

17. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I can't believe you do this without heat becoming an issue, but a film of sweat isn't going to do anything. Also, the bottom and top of the MBP are relativity sealed shut compared to the rest of the computer, one of my friends spilled wine on my closed MBP and I just wiped it off making sure it wasn't getting into the seams and I was fine. Seriously though, doesn't that get hot having it on your chest???

18. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

19. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

I wonder how many of you would feel differently about this thread if the OP was a girl ;)