Possible Trojan? CS4 Download Help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bak3rella, Jul 28, 2010.

1. bak3rella macrumors newbie

Okay so I am on my roommate's laptop because mine doesn't allow me to get on the internet. I did a search but I never found a direct answer.

Ok, so I was trying to find a CS4 trial download (Im running Tiger and CS5 wouldn't install) and I think I probably downloaded and, yes, put in my password, and installed some trojan. The install did not fully go through so I didn't think anything of it at the time and deleted the obvious files. Now I can't get on the internet (Airport says I am connected but do not have an IP) and my spotlight stopped working: the little load icon on the left side of the search doesn't show at all and I cant press enter. I click on the desktop and then on spotlight and it says "No results found"

What can I do to find the trojan? How can I remove it? Should I do a clean install? How can I save my documents/pictures/music/etc? Will the trojan contaminate my files? Ughh I feel so stupid.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Where did you download it from? If it was from a torrent site it wouldn't be surprising to find a trojan in it. If you downloaded from Adobe, there shouldn't be any trojans in it.

3. bak3rella thread starter macrumors newbie

It was not from Adobe, I could only find CS5 on their site so I downloaded from multiple 3rd party sites like a moron :( thinking that their installation was incomplete.

4. NinjaSnowmans macrumors newbie

It seems that you may want to take it to the Apple Store and see if they can help you.

5. bak3rella thread starter macrumors newbie

I really wanted to avoid this seeing as it's finals week and I NEED my computer. Is there any other remedy for this?

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

I doubt the apple store is going to help you after you've installed pirated software. You will probably need to do a complete reinstall.

7. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

Why arent you guys telling the guy there aren't any viruses for OS X?

8. Elysian macrumors member

Because we sound like a broken record.

9. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Trojan horses and viruses are not the same, but I accept that I might also sound like a broken record.

There are CS4 download links on Adobe's website somewhere, but you have to do a bit of online searching to find out, how you can activate the download links.

From what I've heard, I don't have a doubt that you were acting legitimately.

Clear caches, do a few apps to find trojans before you go online (during the task, use another computer and switch off the modem when you upload the app on your Mac). Do a clean install, if necessary or a Time Machine restore.

10. bak3rella thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, I noticed that a lot of previous threads were arguing over the virus vs trojan thing but I am admitting to installing the software and providing my password because I believed they were legitimate.

I downloaded iWorkServicesTrojanRemovalTool.dmg from macsecure so I hope that will help and I also have the clamav on a flash drive. I only have about 15gb of things I need to backup when I get home.

If I were to do a clean install, is there a possibility I could harm my macbook? I am running Tiger and I do not have Time Machine available.

ETA: Also, is that abnormal behavior with my internet connection and spotlight "normal" for the trojan? I have searched Google like crazy but I have not found many others having the same symptoms as I do.

11. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Sorry, my mistake! I forgot that you were on Tiger (which is the best OS EVER!).

If you hardly have any data, go through the obvious directories - caches, application support, library, etc.

Good luck!

12. bak3rella thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, just wanted to give an update. I went out and bought an external HD, dragged-and-dropped the ~20-30 gigs of data I had on my Macbook and did a clean install of Tiger. Everything seems to be in working order and I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who tried to help! I have learned my lesson= be more wary of downloading from 3rd party sites.

Thanks again!