Possible Trojan/Malware?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by themacster298, Feb 2, 2012.

1. themacster298 macrumors member

Hello, Well today I was looking for a chrome extension forum and when I was visiting a website and when I clicked the google link for that website:

[​IMG]

EDIT: I just went back to the page with the history and it didn't give me this prompt. Does this means it installed?

What does this mean? What should I do?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You have nothing to worry about. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. You cannot infect your Mac simply by visiting a website, unzipping a file, opening an email attachment or joining a network. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which cannot infect your Mac unless you actively install them, and they can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.

3. themacster298 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply :). So, not even the browser can be infected (Chrome, Safari, Firefox) on a Mac for simply visiting a website?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Correct.

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Don't bother installing stuff like ClamXav and Surf-Shield on OSX.

6. themacster298 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks again! Seems like it was just a false alarm

7. themacster298 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for asking, but I just saw this thread and noticed that it automatically downloaded and bypassed the need for passwords. Is this the only known website/video that does this?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The installer still needed user intervention to complete the installation process, even though it didn't ask for the admin password. As stated in the Mac Virus/Malware link I posted, go to Safari > Preferences > Security and uncheck "Enable Java". (Enable JavaScript is OK). Then only enable Java when you encounter a trusted site that needs it.