possible trojan or keylogger?

flimzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
I wrote a post in the games section asking whether mw2 could be played on mac. A kind enough person provided me with a wrapper to test out so i downloaded the zip file and its just sitting on my desktop for when i have the time to install it. However i was wondering if its possible this wrapper could be infected? This was the link he provided me and i downloaded the wrapper it was a zip file.

http://portingteam.com/files/file/8056-call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2/

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
A picture of an icon tells us little to nothing about the contents. Good malware cannot be seen, at least not obviously.

I would say you are fine. Short of piracy, OSX is pretty resilient against malware.

flimzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
A picture of an icon tells us little to nothing about the contents. Good malware cannot be seen, at least not obviously.

I would say you are fine. Short of piracy, OSX is pretty resilient against malware.
I'm sorry I thought that might help somehow haha. But I deleted it. I just hope it hasn't installed some sort of Trojan on my comp.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
I'm sorry I thought that might help somehow haha. But I deleted it. I just hope it hasn't installed some sort of Trojan on my comp.
If you didn't install or execute it, you're okay. Simply downloading something won't infect you.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
I didn't finish the installation
Smart. I hope you didn't start it, either.

About the only way Macs ever get infected is when someone downloads and installs "free" versions of popular software. Sometimes, the software is larded with malware, and when you say "yes" to the install you're agreeing to the installation of bad stuff, too.

The best rule is: if it seems too good to be true, run!

If in doubt, download ClamXAV from the app store (it's free), run its updater, and scan your whole machine. Best to do this overnight as it takes a long time and may bog down your machine. You'll probably get some alerts from old emails you have lying around; those target Windows machines and are not harmful to your Mac.

If it otherwise comes up clean, you got off lucky.