possible trojan or keylogger?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by flimzy, Feb 21, 2014.

1. flimzy macrumors regular

I wrote a post in the games section asking whether mw2 could be played on mac. A kind enough person provided me with a wrapper to test out so i downloaded the zip file and its just sitting on my desktop for when i have the time to install it. However i was wondering if its possible this wrapper could be infected? This was the link he provided me and i downloaded the wrapper it was a zip file.

http://portingteam.com/files/file/8056-call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2/

2. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

It is possible, but posting team is pretty legitimate. You could always scan it with clamxAV to be sure.

3. flimzy thread starter macrumors regular

I scanned it and it was clean. However the poster on that site only had two ports so I was just concerned. But I'm still unsure. Do you think i should keep it?

Attached Files:

4. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

A picture of an icon tells us little to nothing about the contents. Good malware cannot be seen, at least not obviously.

I would say you are fine. Short of piracy, OSX is pretty resilient against malware.

5. flimzy thread starter macrumors regular

I'm sorry I thought that might help somehow haha. But I deleted it. I just hope it hasn't installed some sort of Trojan on my comp.

6. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

If you didn't install or execute it, you're okay. Simply downloading something won't infect you.

7. flimzy thread starter macrumors regular

It was a zip I saw what was in side I
    But I didn't finish the installation

8. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Smart. I hope you didn't start it, either.

About the only way Macs ever get infected is when someone downloads and installs "free" versions of popular software. Sometimes, the software is larded with malware, and when you say "yes" to the install you're agreeing to the installation of bad stuff, too.

The best rule is: if it seems too good to be true, run!

If in doubt, download ClamXAV from the app store (it's free), run its updater, and scan your whole machine. Best to do this overnight as it takes a long time and may bog down your machine. You'll probably get some alerts from old emails you have lying around; those target Windows machines and are not harmful to your Mac.

If it otherwise comes up clean, you got off lucky.