Possible upgrades for 2007 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theRevIsNotDead, Sep 2, 2013.

1. theRevIsNotDead macrumors member

theRevIsNotDead

Hi guys, I have a 2007 MBP with 4GB RAM, and a 200GB drive @ 7200 rpm.

I'm going to buy an iMac in the near future and wondering what I can do to the MBP to make it a decent mobile compliment to the iMac.

I've seen mention of people upping the RAM to even 6GB which is apparently supported even though the OS says it maxes at 4. Can anyone recommend which RAM to buy if I am able to upgrade to 6?

I've also seen people say that having an SSD makes all the difference. Will my MBP support it, and can I do this upgrade myself? What drive would you recommend?

Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks in advance!

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

That's fairly old tech, to be honest. I'd try a search on the forums to see what's been said about this in the past, since I'm sure others have previously upgraded this model.

A few things should be considered, such as your needs for the machine, your budget, how long you want to keep the machine, and the law of diminishing returns.

It IS an old machine, is almost already maxed out with upgrades, and does have the nvidia 8600 graphics card that is notorious for failure due to manufacturing flaws.

A good place to start would be going to Other World Computing ( www.macsales.com ) and entering your computer model into my OWC to see what kind of upgrades they recommend for your machine for memory and storage. However, they are pricey, so with the exception of the SSD's they make themselves (Electra, etc.) you can then go on newegg.com and see if you can order the parts you want from there to save a buck.

Looking at their page myself, I'd say the most cost effective upgrade option is the 750gb Seagate Momentus XT for $69, a large 7200 rpm hard drive with a 16mb solid state buffer to make it a mini fusion drive. As you use your system, it puts the apps you primarily use onto the buffer for fast access and leaves your data on the HDD part of it. A single 4gb ddr2 stick of ram will cost you $99.

As for a pure ssd, you've only got sata 1, which means you're not going to get anywhere near full usage out of a modern one.

I'd either leave the system as is for short term general consumer use, or sell it and add the upgrade money towards a more modern MBP, 2011 or later. These can easily use 8-16 gb of ddr3 ram and can fully utilize SSD's. They also have drastically improved graphics cards that are NOT potential time bombs like your current model.

Good luck.

3. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

To keep it nice and simple, check out OWC if your pretty new to buying parts, if not go to newegg.com.

as for the SSD. it does make a world of difference. I would recommend any of the samsung 840 series.

Here are 2 links with what you might want.

the SSD - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147188

the RAM - http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/5300DDR2S6GP/

I will say to even bother upgrading the RAM would be less effective. But here's to maxing out your MBP :)

4. Idefix macrumors 6502

I've got an early 2008 MBP with the NVIDIA 8600M (and an Applecare-replaced logic board.)

The only upgrade I'd recommend would be either a reasonably priced SSD or HD that you would eventually switch to an external case when the 2007 MBP becomes irrelevant to your needs.

For a more zippy feeling, get the SSD.

For large iTunes library or iPhoto library, get the HD recommended above.

The MBP would make an excellent jukebox for home intertainment. Get a DVI to HDMI adapter and send movies to your TV, etc.

5. Laco macrumors 6502

Personally, if was in your position I would buy a new Macbook Pro and an external monitor rather than buying an Imac and upgrading the very old Macbook Pro. In my opinion a 6 year old laptop is at the end of its life and so spending money to upgrade it is not a good investment.

6. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

It's probably not worth the money to upgrade a six year old laptop. People will tell you to get an SSD, but honestly it won't make much difference with a machine that old. I'm not bothering with one in my 2009, and it's only 4 years old. I upgraded my RAM, but DDR3 is much less expensive.

I'd say sell it and buy something a little newer like a 2010 or 2011, maybe a 2012 when the new models come out. Even a 2009 in good condition would be an improvement. You might even look at the 2013 Air. An ipad would also compliment an imac well.

7. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Now that everyone has told you your computer is too old..

Buy a small SSD, you have an iMac coming leave all the big stuff on there. Upgrade to 6 if that suits you. Fresh install when you do the the SSD and don't worry whether it's old.

Try mac-forums.com they're first reaction generally isn't buy a new computer.