Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacintoshMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Britain
Hi there,
I will soon be buying this powermac:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/APPLE-G5-POWE...Desktops_CV&hash=item3f047688b7#ht_4277wt_907

I know it's fast as it is but I will be using logic pro 8 on it for some recording. Apps I will be using:

iWork
Microsoft Office
iLife
Logic Pro 8

I want to upgrade it. The reason I just don't wait and save up for a second hand intel is because I need this computer FAST - So I want to upgrade it as a go along.

I know the Max Ram is 8 gig but what is the maximum Hard Drive in space and speed? What type of hard drive would I need? Can it run solid state? Can the DVD drive be upgraded? Can the graphics card be upgraded? If so, which one? What other stuff can I upgrade?

Thanks,
J :apple:

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I know the Max Ram is 8 gig but what is the maximum Hard Drive in space and speed? What type of hard drive would I need? Can it run solid state? Can the DVD drive be upgraded? Can the graphics card be upgraded? If so, which one? What other stuff can I upgrade?

Thanks,
J :apple:

If you are set on that computer, it would be able to take a SSD. However, it would be limited 150MB/sec due to the speed of the SATA bus in that computer. So don't invest in a nice SSD and expect it to run at the full speed that it is capable of. Other than the RAM and the HDD, there really isn't that much that you could upgrade that would make that much of a difference.

MacintoshMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Britain
If you are set on that computer, it would be able to take a SSD. However, it would be limited 150MB/sec due to the speed of the SATA bus in that computer. So don't invest in a nice SSD and expect it to run at the full speed that it is capable of. Other than the RAM and the HDD, there really isn't that much that you could upgrade that would make that much of a difference.

So would a SSD be no faster than a good standard HD?

MacintoshMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Britain
It would still be significantly faster, but you would not see the full benefit of the SSD. But once you get a new computer that has a SATA 3 bus, then you would be able to take full advantage of the SSD.

Thankyou,
Please could you tell me what SSD would work? And please could you tell me what type of standard HD would work and the size limit?

Thank you very much.

Last edited:

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
SSD? wth??

the best upgrade you can do for that powermac your getting/buying is to up the ram to at least 6 gigs and stick in a updated video card, like the X800XT or similar...

I wouldent really bother with an SSD in this unit as the bus transfer speed will limit the speed of the SSD.

any any rate, a great box. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.