Possible Usb Port Problem On My 24 Inch Imac Or Something Else?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by beeinformed, Jan 1, 2011.

1. beeinformed macrumors 6502

Hi!

I recently purchased a refurbished 24 inch imac from the apple.com store. I've
    noticed when the computer is idle (black screen), my wired mouse does not work. When I pull the cable out of the usb port on the imac, the computer screen comes on and then I reinsert the cable back into the usb port in the computer to use the wired mouse (wired mouse works fine after I reinsert the cable back into the usb port).

Could this problem be associated with the wired mouse or with the usb ports on the imac?

Thanks in advance for any any info/suggestions regarding this issue.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"I recently purchased a refurbished 24 inch imac from the apple.com store. I've
    noticed when the computer is idle (black screen), my wired mouse does not work. When I pull the cable out of the usb port on the imac, the computer screen comes on and then I reinsert the cable back into the usb port in the computer to use the wired mouse (wired mouse works fine after I reinsert the cable back into the usb port).
    Could this problem be associated with the wired mouse or with the usb ports on the imac?"

This may be unrelated to your specific problem, but I've found that plugging in a USB device on _my_ iMac when it's sleeping will "wake it up".

When the computer is sleeping, and when you touch the mouse and find it doesn't "wake things up", what happens if you hit a key or two?

Does _that_ wake up the computer?

After it wakes up, does the mouse work again?

If you can wake it up from the keyboard (but not the mouse), and everything else seems OK, I really wouldn't worry about it to much. Just hit a key to do the wake-up call.....

3. beeinformed thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi!

I just wanted to follow up your reply to my question about not being able to use the mouse when the computer is idle.

When the computer was idle, I left-clicked on the mouse and the screen came on. I also tapped on a keyboard key (as you suggested) when the computer was idle and the screen came on.

It seems that when I wiggle the mouse around (when the computer is idle), the screen will not come on but if I click on the mouse, the screen then appears.

Thank you for your helpful suggestion!