Possible uses for Emac

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Ih8reno, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

About to take ownership of an emac this week. not 100% sure of specs yet. Anybody have any ideas of what it can do which can be useful?

2. alexrmc92 macrumors regular

They are still fairly relevant for light usage. You can use old photoshop versions on it (which are still backwards compatible for the most part). Web browsing should be easy enough.

If you want more updated software you can opt for Linux.

By no means is it a power house (even in PPC standards) but it will still run most software from that era.

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

The difference between a the slowest 700MHz eMac and a late model 1.42GHz eMac is pretty huge. The later USB 2.0 models really make pretty decent computers. Once you get under 1GHz, its kind of pushing the limits of usability with Leopard and internet usage. Figure out which one you're getting, and then it'll be easier to figure out what you can do with it.

4. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Regardless of the specs - they all have an awesome set of Harman Kardon speakers & make great jukebox.

5. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Really? That I did not know. This could be the best $10 investment ever lol

6. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

$10? Specs? Pics?

7. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

So far all I know is it has a 60gb hard drive and the seller doesn't know much about it other then that. I saw a pic she is selling it online and ill pick if up hopefully this week!

8. WMD macrumors regular

Assuming the 60GB hard drive is the original, it's probably an 800MHz or 1.0GHz model. Those are kind of pushing it on usability (no USB 2 and lower clock speed), but I believe they can boot OS 9, if you are into that kind of thing.

9. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

You can use that old eMac for lots of things. I personally use my Power Mac G4 for GarageBand and Internet use. I also have a few games as well, like Shrek 2 (It sucks compared to the PS2 version though), SimCity 4 (Doesn't perform the greatest) and Minecraft, which runs with a certain beta version of Java.

My Power Mac is also one of 4 computers I have with my entire music library. I keep it hooked up to my surroundsound system so I can blast music all day long.

Internet also works pretty well too. YouTube is alright, just use Camino instead of Safari because Camino can disable Flash and you can click flash objects and they'll play, so it's faster plus it can disable Internet advertising. You also can't watch YouTube in anything higher than 360p, I find.

My Power Mac is a dual 1.25GHz with 2GB of RAM and OS X 10.4.11.

10. Andropov macrumors regular

Andropov

11. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

so far i got the emac today and the specs are

1ghz
    640mb ram
    i upgraded to osx 10.4.11
    60gbhd

only problem is it freezes occasionally. Any ideas

12. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

The problem is the super loud fan in them. My first mac was a 1GHz eMac, and it was loud. I have it the box for sentimental purposes, otherwise it is kind of useless. Not fast enough to be a server or anything, maybe a nice fish tank?

If you reinstall the original OS that it shipped with it would be fine for basic web browsing and email. Most speed issues are not the computer getting old, but the software getting more processor intensive.

13. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

They are fast enough for servers, you could run a server on a G3.

14. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Solution: Crank the volume up ;)

In all seriousness though, although the fan isn't silent, it doesn't get in the way of the music at all in my opinion.

15. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

reinstalled the os, installed tenfourfox/webkit. Now trying to decide if I should max out the ram and go to 10.5.

16. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I would keep it on 10.4 at the latest,10.5 is a good OS, but I think it would be quite a bit slower on that machine and not be new enough to make a whole lot of difference in usability with modern programs. Maxing the ram can't hurt though.

17. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Emac now has 10.4.11 updates, 1gb ram, wifi, 1ghz processor. For such an old machine it works pretty well. Tried XBMC and its sluggish.

18. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

They are pretty great little machines. I always found XMBC to be too cumbersome anyway; my eMac has never had problems with iTunes 9 and VLC, though. ;)