Possible Verizon iPhone issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by doctordowling, Aug 8, 2010.

1. doctordowling macrumors member

So with the possibility of the iPhone coming to Verizon in early 2011, I have a quick question.

Due to the nature of Verizon's CDMA network it wouldn't be possible to do voice and data at the same time, would it? I know this is a problem that existed in the past [AT&T even had commercials about it]. I was just wondering if this is still the case or if they have somehow found a way around this limitation.

I see this as a key aspect of the iPhone and can imagine that this could be a key reason that customers would stick with AT&T's GSM network.

2. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Well there's always the possibility a Verizon iPhone would be LTE, which I believe is capable of simultaneous voice and data.

3. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I am sure 80+million others not currently on AT&T may not see it as a "key" aspect of a phone. Perhaps maybe a convenience.

4. Rideherhard macrumors 6502

Well up here in Canada Telus and Bell have the iPhone with no problems on a CDMA network, so I don't see why you'd have a problem with Verizon.

5. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

Telus and Bell switched to GSM, the iPhone hasn't gone to CDMA.

6. alent1234 macrumors 603

Supposedly verizon is testing voice over evdo rev A

7. 4ndr3w macrumors regular

Telus and Bell do not run iPhone on a CDMA network.

8. doctordowling thread starter macrumors member

So without the possiblility of a switch to LTE, the CDMA iPhone would not be able to do voice + data without some "magical" work by Apple?

9. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

Technically, they switched to HSPA, they don't have a GSM network. Only HSPA phones will work, on 3G only, no GSM, no EDGE. And that's the way I like it!

10. macfanrutler macrumors regular

macfanrutler

It would truly be a miracle if Apple could figure out a way to actually change how CDMA works and change the network engineering of it.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    It would be a minor annoyance but all these people already on verizon and Sprint dealt with it so far.

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    A CDMA handset could use SVDO (simultaneous 1X voice + EVDO data), which (contrary to a popular misconception) does not require any change on Verizon's network. Basically it's the equivalent of using two radios at the same time.

Some would, but most have never noticed. Don't forget that the first iPhone was even EDGE-only (no 3G or simultaneous usage).

13. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

It becomes less likely every day that Verizon will see an iPhone at all in the next several or more years.

People better stop anticipating. Verizon is taking extreme actions to protect it's non-iphone position with android, so there is little reason to believe the iPhone will be coming to Verizon any time soon, if ever.

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    True, Verizon is in a much better position because of its latest Droids, which are in huge demand.

And now, with iPhone exclusivity disappearing, AT&T is beginning to push its status as a premier Windows Phone 7 carrier. One rumor even claimed they've signed up to sell 8 million of them.

New WebOS phones and tablets should also be coming from HP.

Going to be a very interesting year, and Apple's not exactly made a lot of corporate friends in the USA over the past few years.

15. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Ive had Verizon for years and was never in a position that needed that feature. And once Verizon goes LTE you will be able to have voice and data at the same time.

16. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

If a person is already a Verizon customer, then they're already accustomed to not being able to do voice & data simultaneously. Why would they suddenly start jonesing for it because of the iPhone? And how many people use that feature on a regular basis to begin with?

17. brayhite macrumors 6502a

That's making the assumption that the only people who would be using a Verizon iPhone are those who are already with Verizon. If market surveys are accurate, up to 40% of current AT&T iPhone customers may abandon ship and how on the big red checkmark. Considering 40% of AT&T iPhone customers NOW makes up an estimated 800,000 if not more (basing this on the 1.7 million iPhone 4's sold and 300,000 iPhone 2G/3G/3GS users remaining, totaling 2 million), that's going to be a pretty big amount of Verizon iPhone users who just lost one of the premier functions of the iPhone on AT&T's network.

As far as who uses that feature on a regular basis, I for one have used it multiple times since being on AT&T (since June 29th). I can't speak for everyone else, but I would imagine that people use that feature often enough to miss it when it's gone.

18. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

But if they hate AT&T enough to jump ship to Verizon, I would imagine that they'll be able to live without voice & data. After all, what good is voice and data if you can't get a signal?

19. aneftp macrumors 601

I really don't understand why people are under the assumption that the iPhone made ATT what it is:

The facts are this:
    ATT was the number cell phone (in terms of users) before the iPhone was launched.

Verizon reclaimed the lead in 2009 (after it's purchase of Alltel).

ATT had very little churn before the iPhone.

So many people complain about ATT. Jumping to Verizon isn't exactly going to improve things. Verizon will in the near future go to a tiered data pricing strategy. Their prices are the same. It will be more of the same old same old if people jump to Verizon.

It's sad but both ATT and Verizon are sucking customers from the regional carriers and from T-mobile USA and Sprint.