possible? vhs through dv deck capture into FCP??

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jimedit1, May 23, 2007.

1. jimedit1 macrumors member

Does anyone know if there is a way to capture video...
    VHS deck input into a sony dsr-11, then capture into FCP through firewire, without tranferring on to a dv tape first?

Any information would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'm pretty sure you just hook up the VCR to the deck and the deck to your Mac via FW. I've never used the DSR-11 to do this but I've done it w/a number of other cameras and decks.

Lethal

3. jimedit1 thread starter macrumors member

Doesnt seem to...

I know the VHS signal is going through the deck because I can see it on my external monitor, however it wont show in the log & capture display... and when I hit capture anyway... it tells me it is "waiting for timecode" and "must be in VTR mode".

hmmm... rats.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Set FCP to "non-controllable device" and it will stop looking for TC.

Lethal

5. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

See if there is a dub option. If it is anything like my deck you can put both a DV tape and VHS tape in the deck. However, in order to capture the VHS you have to dub the signal over to the DV side to play out of the firewire and into your mac.

6. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

How is your VHS connected to your DSR-11?

Even after you conquer your timecode problem, you might need to use a TBC to improve the subcarrier for digital use.

My advice would be to (a) copy over to DV first, or (b) get an analog to digital converter (Canopus has good ones) and bypass the DV deck altogether.

7. jimedit1 thread starter macrumors member

I think the analogue/digital converter is the only solution... That is, if I want to capture directly from the VHS deck. May be a worthwhile investment if I continue to do these promotional reels... Lots of old VHS that needs to be tricked out. And going from VHS to DV and then AGAIN from dv to computer is taking a toll on my time... and sanity!
    Thanks for the advice.

8. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

This is the very reason I put up with my JVC SR-VS30U.

Sometimes I get droped frames of audio, sometimes it crashes FCP, but mostly it lets me capture VHS tapes w/o conversion or using a PCI slot.

I also use it to record to DV and VHS simultaneously, but that wasn't the point of this thread…