Possible Video Card Firmware Issue??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bwelfel, Feb 13, 2011.

1. bwelfel macrumors newbie

I am trying to restore my MacBook Pro to factory defaults. It is currently running 10.6.6 perfectly (when I startup normally, everything is fine) but the cds it came with, which I am trying to restore to, are 10.4.9.

When I try to start up with the cds, it gives the following screen:
    [​IMG]

The mouse is able to move around but the background is a jumbled desktop though it is interactive; when I move my mouse around and click, I can see in the white spaces changing to blue as though if I would be able to select and use the desktop if I know what the options were.

I ran the hardware test (advanced - more than an hour) and nothing wrong was found. Is this a firmware issue or something I can fix by attempting to restore in a different way?

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Is this a 2007 or early 2008 model? 2.2, 2.4, or 2.6GHz? If so, there's a repair extension program still running for logic board replacements.

3. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Are you absolutely 100% sure those are the correct CD's?
    It could be trying to use the wrong driver (say you have an 8800 Nvidia card and it's trying the 8600 driver, because the CDs could be too old and not know your model)

4. bwelfel, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011

bwelfel thread starter macrumors newbie

It is a 2007 model. 2.2 GHz.

I see... I will have to contact them about that. Do you think this logic board is the cause of the issue? I ran the hardware diagnosis (the long version) and everything passed (no errors).

5. bwelfel thread starter macrumors newbie

I am positive that I am using the correct CDs; I've only had one Macbook Pro. I agree that it looks like a video card driver issue... I am going to look into the logic board but does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks!