Possible virus causing chaos?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnojohno, Jan 19, 2016.

1. johnojohno macrumors newbie

Hey guys

When turning on my mac it brings me to the password login, I login. My old yosemite background is back, and all I have is a flashing message which I cant even click re open or restart on "finder quit unexpectedly" Then flashing to . "Spotify has quit unexpectedly then just carrying this random pattern out.

Everything's flashing and dissapearing. Unable to click anything. Cant click finder.

Pretty confused as to whats going on? Any ideas?

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

No, you do not have a virus. It is something else.

3. johnojohno thread starter macrumors newbie

4. MrAverigeUser macrumors 6502a

MrAverigeUser

This seems more like a defective HDD-cable OR a problem with the GPU.

If it is a 2011/2012 MacBookPro, take an appointment in an apple-store because until mid february they will exchange your motherboard IF you are victim of "Radeongate".
    Before doing that, make a video and photos of the failure to prove your problem (in case this is not every time reproducible).

5. johnojohno thread starter macrumors newbie

its a 2015, only purchased in April my friend

6. MrAverigeUser macrumors 6502a

MrAverigeUser

As you didn´t write this before , how could I know this?

In this case take an appointment as well. It´s under warranty.

BTW: a "new" Mac does not automatically exclude a gpu-failure at all.

7. johnojohno thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I will try sort one out for the upcoming future, I am a little far from the closest store. Thanks for the help guys

8. MrAverigeUser macrumors 6502a

MrAverigeUser

any apple-certified service/repair-center (as some apple-dealers) can do this as well...

9. johnojohno, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016

johnojohno thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there possibly a way i could o a repair via the disk instead of going into utilities (As I am unable to access it) Just to see if this fixes the problem?

Otherwise as summarised in the last thread it will be going back to apple.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What model do you have, and what version of OS X are you running.

If you have a fairly new Mac, then you can go into the recovery partition and repair the drive from there.

11. johnojohno thread starter macrumors newbie

its a 2015, purchased in april. Its on yosemite, the wallpaper actually reverts back to standard yosemite every few weeks oddly and same this time. How do I access the recovery partition. I assume insert disc and hold down a key?

12. snaky69 macrumors 603

Seeing as a 2015 mac doesn't have a disc drive and did not come with an install disc (all macs made later than 2011 don't come with said disc) I can hardly see how you'll be able to insert a disc.

You could try googling "recovery partition mac" to find this as the very first hit:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201314

Or, since you're here, just hold CMD-R at boot, it'll take you straight to it.

Sorry if I sound a bit condescending, but I'm a strong believer in the whole "teach a man to fish" thingy. If you learn it by yourself, instead of being spoon fed information, you're much more likely to remember it and understand it.

13. snaky69 macrumors 603

Seems like a software conflict caused by spotify if you ask me, not a virus.

14. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Malware is continuously evolving, dependant on usage and workflow third party solution can be a requirement. I travel frequently for work purpose, similar connecting to numerous networks. All my Mac`s have a level of third party protection, the bare minimum is the likes of Malwarebytes, a passive AV scanner (Bitdefender) and a good VPN.

For those of you who don't need or want an "active" solution, try Bitdefender Antivirus Scanner from the App store; it`s free, nonintrusive, and runs only when you want it to. The scanner does not offer much in the line of protection being very much an on demand tool, equally for the majority of OS X users, most just want to validate that the drive is free of malicious code be it related to OS X or Windows. Where Bitdefender`s Scanner excels is detection & simplicity having no daemons or start up agents etc.

Depending on usage/workflow an "active" Malware application is not always the best solution, and there is also the argument that such "active" solutions can be a double-edged sword potentially increasing the "attack surface" against sophisticated threats, equally there are solid solution such a Avast for Mac. Security is very much multifaceted, malware prevention/detection is for both OS X & Windows just one aspect, which is always worth thinking on

As others have suggested, this does not look to be the result of malicious code, equally by scanning your drives you can rule out that path. First thing I would do it shutdown the Notebook and start up in Safe Mode this will help to prove if the system is good and being affected by 3rd part software on standard boot

Q-6

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I agree.

OP> Try holding the shift key at startup to boot to safe mode. That will bypass all startup and launch items just as a test.

16. McBeresford macrumors regular

McBeresford

The first thing you need to do is reset your SMC. I used to be be certified for this stuff, back in the "PowerPC" era.. It's been awhile but it sounds like you need to do this.. Depending on your machine this could use a PRAM reset as well.

17. McBeresford macrumors regular

McBeresford

FWIW: Bitdefender has the most unintelligent scanning system of all time. Its not worth downloading.

18. MrAverigeUser, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016

MrAverigeUser macrumors 6502a

MrAverigeUser

The German Department for Digital Security published 2015 a statistic of "identified weak points" in most-used software.

For Mac-Users used to "never have problems" it was shocking:

Adobe Flash,160
    MS InternetExplorer,132
    Apple Mac OSX,132 (Might be including Safari)
    MS Windows,123
    Google Chrome,72
    Acrobat/Reader,67
    Mozilla Firefox,65
    MS Office,36
    Oracle Java,22
    Linux Kernel,22

I am very happy having continued investing some EUR in Antivirus-SW after switching from Windows to OSX in 2008…

but I know very well: The by far weakest point of the whole system is the USER… :D