Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nicknicknickh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
I have recently been getting kicked off my Facebook randomly and I checked my setting and it says I'm logged in from some locations around me but where I never check my FB. For example it will say Im logged in from Safari OSX in a neighboring state. I change my password regularly and I think someone may have hacked my Mac..

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have recently been getting kicked off my Facebook randomly and I checked my setting and it says I'm logged in from some locations around me but where I never check my FB. For example it will say Im logged in from Safari OSX in a neighboring state. I change my password regularly and I think someone may have hacked my Mac..
It's not possible that it's a virus (since no Mac OS X viruses exist) and no one hacked your Mac. They only hacked your Facebook account.

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. You cannot infect your Mac simply by visiting a website, unzipping a file, opening an email attachment or joining a network. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which cannot infect your Mac unless you actively install them, and they can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.

nicknicknickh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
I previously had Sophos on my mac but I used the remover it came with and got rid of it a few months later.

----------

I just figured out every time I use my Droid with the FB app and try to log into fb which is not working for some reason..? Is coming up in the active sessions.

nicknicknickh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Does anyone know why my droid would be interfering with my Facebook account activity? Is it possibly the ones saying I am logging in from all these weird locations, is it possible that the cell towers in the neighboring state are interfering I have a long commute everyday which possibly gets close to these other states.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
[/COLOR]I just figured out every time I use my Droid with the FB app and try to log into fb which is not working for some reason..? Is coming up in the active sessions.
FWIW, I check my gmail from my home computer, my iPhone (AT&T) and my iPad (Verizon), and only my home computer shows the correct state (VA). Both the AT&T and Verizon 3G access show as being from different states.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    36.7 KB · Views: 87

nicknicknickh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
I really hope my droid is just screwing up or something because being hacked is going to be a nightmare :(

I'll see if I can log the time I log into fb when Im commuting and then go home and see when the weird active session was initiated. Good idea eh?

IvanOhio

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2012

Take a really huge breath, hold it, then let it out. It is going to be ok.

I doubt it is a virus. Most likely a issue with the Facebook server, your browser, or the world wide web gods are just angry right now.

Funny thing, just watched a video on YouTube. A kid was sporting his new Apple computer. What killed me is he had Lime wire on it. That is the worst thing you can do. If you are worried about someone hacking that is a surefire way to get hacked. Peer to peer is very dangerous because you open your computer to others and they and send you a nasty.

I would also check your provider because it could be a issue with the access server.

Relax, breathe easy, it will be ok.

ELMI0001

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
Olympic Hills GC
FWIW, I check my gmail from my home computer, my iPhone (AT&T) and my iPad (Verizon), and only my home computer shows the correct state (VA). Both the AT&T and Verizon 3G access show as being from different states.

My gmail has been hacked twice in the last year from someone in China. I finally moved away from it and created my own domain hoping it's not to become a target of China.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
My gmail has been hacked twice in the last year from someone in China.
You should be able to avoid that by using a long, complex password that includes numbers, special characters and upper and lower case letters.

ELMI0001

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
Olympic Hills GC
You should be able to avoid that by using a long, complex password that includes numbers, special characters and upper and lower case letters.

I'll admit I never changed my password until it happened the first time. I think I had that password for 6 years. But after that I had a complex one that I could not even remember half the time (had it written down on a business card in my wallet), but it still happened.

No one, including my wife, was excited to see an email from me with the subject "Watch My Girlfriend Pleasure Herself".

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
No one, including my wife, was excited to see an email from me with the subject "Watch My Girlfriend Pleasure Herself".
Your email account doesn't have to be hacked for that to happen. Even if your account is secure, spammers can still spoof your address, making it look like spam messages came from your address, even when they don't. It doesn't prove that your email account was compromised. Spoofing can happen with any email address, even if it hasn't been compromised.

ELMI0001

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
Olympic Hills GC
Your email account doesn't have to be hacked for that to happen. Even if your account is secure, spammers can still spoof your address, making it look like spam messages came from your address, even when they don't. It doesn't prove that your email account was compromised. Spoofing can happen with any email address, even if it hasn't been compromised.

True, but the email was in my sent mail folder and the corresponding log-in was from China (I'm in the US). I was notified by Google; like this http://www.webpronews.com/google-alerts-users-of-suspicious-gmail-log-in-activity-2010-03

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
True, but the email was in my sent mail folder and the corresponding log-in was from China (I'm in the US). I was notified by Google; like this http://www.webpronews.com/google-alerts-users-of-suspicious-gmail-log-in-activity-2010-03
I'm not suggesting that your email account wasn't compromised. It sounds like this is indeed the case. I was simply pointing out that a person's contacts could still get spam that appears to originate with them, even if their email account is secure. Using a secure password will protect your account, but won't necessarily eliminate the possibility of spoofing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.