Possible Virus/Malware:"Red the page does not support your version of browser"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jdaniel, May 31, 2011.

1. jdaniel macrumors 65816

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110527194222AAJFsHU

So many different things and suggestions, so I have no idea what to do. And to make it more difficult I do not have the issue, my aunt does over in LA and I am 1/2 way across the world. I usually solve my problems by trial and error and i can go down the list of suggestions but I would need to give her more specific instructions. Making it worse, most of them on there are windows not mac.

HELP ME HELP HER ! THANKS !

Attached Files:

2. simsaladimbamba

You tried the suggestions in that linked thread already?
    How to take screenshots in Mac OS X

Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios
    There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
    The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.

3. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

This is not me.. what would like me to do give my aunt a mac lesson, I have tried ok... if you are not being helpful please do not respond. And check out the link. pfffff telling me how to tak screen shots... of course I know how to take screen shots.....

anyways please help anyone else much appreciated

4. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

both safari and chrome... doesnt matter which browse apparently its not a browser issue.

5. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

According to the replies in that link you posted, it sounds like either a router issue, or one of your PCs is dishing out bad DHCP commands. I'd reset your router and check your network settings on each PC/web connected device in your house-hold NOW.

6. simsaladimbamba

How should I know, what you can and what you can't?
    It's not like you are very forthcoming with information and what you already taught your aunt on the other side of this ****ed up rock.
    Anyways, as I can't help, I better leave and don't post any links anymore.
    Good luck.

7. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

my point is how r u responding to my call for help by telling me how to post screen shots, the shot there is enough for anyone who knows about the problem to identify it, if you do not know what the problem is, then thank you very much for looking.

8. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

I've replied with a possible fix to your problem, check a few posts back ;)

9. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

ok thanks.. but the link doesnt quite say how to solve the problem beyond a hard reset to the router... as in when it comes to the mac/computer

:)

10. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

I think you need to check the network settings on the affected computer and see where it's getting it's DHCP commands from. If it's different to that of your router then that would be the culprit. People seem to suggest it then disappears when that's been sorted.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic400108.html

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:
    Also, if you want to provide remote support for your aunt (or anyone else), check out TeamViewer, which works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use.

12. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

We know this thanks, but this problem affects all computers in the household, of the people who have been affected. It seems as though it's a network issue, not an OS one. :)

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You may know this, but not everyone who reads this thread will.

14. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

Pasted from bleepingcomputer.com: (These instructions are Windows-centric, but you can find the Mac Equivalent controls fairly easy I would've thought...

I'm going to give you instructions for resetting the router. Lets see if resetting it makes any difference.

Router Reset
    Please read this:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2008/06/malware_silently_alters_wirele_1.html

Consult this link to find out what is the default username and password of your router and note down them: Route Passwords

Then rest your router to it's factory default settings:

"If your machine has been infected by one of these Zlob/DNSchanger Trojans, and your router settings have been altered, I would strongly recommend that you reset the router to its default configuration. Usually, this can be done by inserting something tiny like a paper clip end or pencil tip into a small hole labeled "reset" located on the back of the router. Press and hold down the small button inside until the lights on the front of the router blink off and then on again (usually about 30 seconds)"

This is the difficult part.
    First get to the routers server. To do that type http:\\192.168.1.1 in the address bar and click Enter. You get the log in window.
    Fill in the password you have already found and you will get the configuration page.
    Configure the router to allow you to connect to your ISP server. In some routers it is done by a setup wizard. But you have to fill in the log in password your ISP has initially given to you.
    You can also call your ISP if you don't have your initial password.
    Don't forget to change the routers default password and set a strong password. Note down the password and keep it somewhere for future reference.

Please make sure of the following settings:
    Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Double click on Network Connections.
    Right click on your default connection (usually Local Area Connection or Wireless Network Connection) and select Properties.

Select the General tab.
    Double click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
    Under General tab:
    Select "Obtain an IP address automatically".
    Select "Obtain DNS server address automatically".

Click OK twice to save the settings.
    Reboot if you had to change any setting.

NEXT:

Flush the DNS cache
    Click the Start logo in the bottom left corner of the screen
    Click on Run
    In the command window copy/paste the following

ipconfig /flushdns

then hit enter
    Exit the command window.

After that, Reboot

15. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

Fair enough point, I was just pointing out that from reading about this online, it seems as though everyone is saying that it's a network issue, not an OS one. :)

16. myriele macrumors newbie

Same Issue

Well it happened to me over the weekend, and since I fix systems, yet my mind was on a long needed break and playing the Sims 3 Religiously. I can tell you my fix.

The message popped up first on my laptop and I got rid of it then it hit my iphones through wifi, then the 6 others in the house. So I unplugged the router and the modem, reset both checked the LAN settings reset those, changed passwords and a quick fix happened until after we shut down for the nite and it happened all over again.

Finally 13 hrs later once I gave my mind a break from my free weekend, it hit me, its not the router its one of the durn computers hooked to it...checked the ipconfig on all of them and one mysteriously did not have an address at all...yesterday it showed that mysterious 188.229.88.7...thats the one...disconnected it from the router and smooth sailing on the rest...

:eek: