Possible Virus on iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by md63, Aug 21, 2010.

1. md63 macrumors 6502

Hi Guys. I recently did a jailbreak on my iPad and installed backgrounder and circuitous. Was using it for a few days with no problems.

Recently I also installed Installous and download a bunch of apps to try out and see if they are worth while to purchase on iTunes. I'm getting the following pop up message which is locking my iPad and requires me to do a hard reboot.

"The Judge Said: This App goes to Jail."

This seems happens only when I push the home button while trying to use backgrounder. The last time it occurred I was in Safari with nothing else open and I was trying to engage backgrounder. Previously it happened in Installous.

Has anyone seen this? I did a search and nothing came up. Do I need to restore the iPad or would deleting Installous and the Apps do the trick.

Thanks

2. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

Probably karma getting back at you for pirating apps! :p

3. md63 thread starter macrumors 6502

Update. I removed backgrounder and I'm still getting the same issue. If I press and hold the home button i get the same message. Has anyone else seen this? The only application running is the one that is open. With backgrounder removed, does pressing and holding the home button supposed to do anything?

Update 2: I think I figured it out. I had downloaded an app from Cydia which was supposed to lock the home button so you don't inadvertently activate it while gaming. That seemed to be the issue.

4. md63 thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe you're right, however, I've bought too many crappy applications from iTunes that either didn't work right or crashed, that I refuse to buy anything else without first checking them out or being very comfortable with the developer. App reviews are worthless since most are a mix of 5 star and 1 star reviews. How many of these reviews are being submitted by the developers themselves in order to pump up sales?

SJ and App developers have taken too much of my money for what turned out to be Apps of very questionable quality. If there was a way of trying out the app for free for 24 hrs or getting a refund within 24 hrs, then I would never have looked into alternative methods of trying apps. I've deleted out most everything that I had downloaded because it wasn't worth it even for free. The ones I like that I feel I would use I will buy.

Yes I believe that was the one. The developer had a youtube video showing the app. I installed it but didn't change any settings so I didn't think it was activated. Its useless to me if it locks your iPad every time you hit the home button.

5. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

Nice spin ;). Anyway I don't think piracy talk is allowed here.

6. GinoDotCom macrumors regular

Op, you're not the only one that's been stuck with crappy apps. Almost everyone has at this point- doesn't mean we all ran out and put installous on our iDevice. Cydia doesn't even have it in their repository, you have to manually add it yourself. Which tells you that the jailbreak community doesn't support this either.

You're actually pretty brave to start talking about installous in here in the first place.

7. 610nano macrumors newbie

Q about downloading apps. 85% of people who pirate also buys the software after playing with it. Idc what anyone says if you jb I bet you have at least one pirated app. So qq more tired of buying ****** apps from people who are trying to make a quick buck.

Computer infestation will always exist.

8. openendstraight macrumors regular

openendstraight

Where in the world did you get that figure? Sounds like you pulled it out of your A$$. The only reason to pirate apps is to avoid paying for them, you can use that crap "I am just trying it out excuse" all you want.

I don't and never have had a pirated app on any of my iPhones, so keep trying to justify it by saying everyone else does it.

9. stark4 macrumors 6502

it would be very interesting do the poll about whether each ipad owner has pirate app downloader in their ipad or not....

are we allow to do poll about it in this forum?

10. 610nano macrumors newbie

I'd do the poll on how many people pirate the software then buy it shortly afterwards. I bet most people sill be surprised. Once apple does the test before you buy, I bet the pirating will hit an all time low.

11. drjsway macrumors 6502a

I know at least twenty people who pirate apps. None of them have ever spent a single penny in the app store.

12. md63 thread starter macrumors 6502

You may not have pirated an app but you admitted earlier this month to not paying for tethering service from ATT through jail breaking. Many would consider that to be worse than pirating since it's an ongoing event and at $20 per month more significant than someone who download a couple of apps which cost a couple of bucks. And don't use the excuse that you are are paying for it twice because that is just not the case. There is a reason why AT&T charges extra for tethering because it tends to use excessive bandwidth.

13. 3583582 Suspended

Wow, that definitely makes my top three list of most hilarious made up statics.

Not quite good enough to beat the guy who claimed that "Android is just owning Apple. About 95% of the people planning to get a new phone will get a smartphone. About 85%(probably more) of these people will not go for an iPhone. About 90% of these people will buy an Android phone." on TouchArcade though.

14. GinoDotCom macrumors regular

Sorry, tethering your phone or iPad is no where near as bad as pirating apps. It's not even close.

That fact that you even said many would consider tethering worse than pirating makes it just laughable.

15. md63 thread starter macrumors 6502

I would love to hear your logic on the lack of moral equivalence between the two. Company (AT&T/App Developer) provides a service/product (tethering/app) for a fee. Some people don't want to pay the fee so they figure out a method of accessing the service/product without paying.

At least in one circumstance the individual can legitimately purchase the app after the fact. With the unauthorized access of service there really isn't that option.

I know, there is always the argument "I'm paying for unlimited data on my iphone/ipad so I should be able to use the data however I want!" Well AT&T hasn't set up the plan that way and never did. It offers a method of tethering for a fee. People know what they were getting when they signed up for the service with AT&T. If someone is not paying for the service then its very difficult to argue that its any different than pirating.

Maybe I'm wrong about how others would consider stealing telecom service vs. pirating since there are a lot of fanboys who will defend Apple to the death and bash AT&T at a moments notice. Stealing tethering service is $240 per year that doesn't stop as long as someone doesn't screw up their iPhone or iPad setup. That is a hell of a lot of apps to pirate.

16. GinoDotCom macrumors regular

Seems like you're real serious about your tethering vs pirating comparison. Well listen, don't take my opinion or word for it...just look around the iOS community and forums. Matter of fact, don't go any further but to look at this forum we're on right now. There's Tethering threads in every corner you turn to where as there's actually rules against you making threads about installous and/or pirating apps.

And yes, you are absolutely correct, I am paying for UNLIMITED Internet data on my data plan. It is after all the way Apple intended tethering to be utilitized when they threw it into 3.0- to be used for free! Sort of like how the other smart phones and carriers include tethering into their data package.

17. md63 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't really care about the ethics of tethering vs pirating. The only reason I brought up tethering is because someone else got on their high horse and made a statement about pirating while publicly stating elsewhere on MR they jail broke their iPhone to tether. If someone is going to steal telecom service then they shouldn't claim the moral high ground elsewhere.

Regarding your statement on Apples intent for free tethering I have to say that is a load of BS. Apple can't intend for carriers to provide free tethering service just because they put a switch in the OS so tethering could be activated. Keep dreaming. :rolleyes:

18. alex018 macrumors newbie

I have spent hundred buck on apps store. I got installous too.

19. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

20. Antowns macrumors member

I use Installous but I actually buy the apps that I think are worth the money. Theres so many apps not worth a penny in the store. I could even prove it btw with my store receipts.

21. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Nothing about Karma here, that is what happen when you install stolen app, if the cracker doesn't care about the developer, believe me it doesn't care about you either, that is a Trap build in into one of the cracked app you installed, when you installed the stolen app there is not way to verify the binary so any additional application can be bundel with the new "cracked ipa or deb" and steal your personal information or just simply mess up your iDevice