Possible virus or Flash/ Javascript crash?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rpprdud, May 21, 2011.

1. rpprdud macrumors newbie

Hello MacRumors. I am running into an issue with my 3.06 GHz Core 2 Duo iMac running OsX 10.6.8 Snow Leopard with 4 Gb of DDR3 Ram. After extended usage of the computer (being left on for days on end with no full reboot) and upon access of flash/javascript based websites (namely youtube but there are others) that tab in the web browser will crash and immediately afterward, all other tabs will crash. Afterwards, all tabs are completely unresponsive. The problem spreads to all web browsers (Chrome and Safari) and no pages will load (even after restarting all browsers). My internet connection is stable and working. Other computers and devices are actively using the network at the time of the crash but the network is far from overloaded. The only temporary solution I have come across is rebooting the system. Thus, I think I have narrowed the problem down to either the OS itself, or a faulty Java/ Flash plugin. A few other details: Around the time of the crash, some programs on the computer start to lag. I haven't narrowed it down to one program or one suite but I haven't checked Activity monitor during the crash/ lag to see which program(s). I'm looking for any simpler solutions before I go reinstall flash and Javascript. If anyone has experienced this problem before, or has any suggestions, your help would be greatly appreciated.

2. munkery, May 21, 2011
    Last edited: May 21, 2011

munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Maybe it is because you're running beta software. OS X 10.6.8 has not been released yet for non-testing use. Help development and send in a bug report.

3. rpprdud thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry

Oh, I'm terribly sorry, I listed the incorrect OS. I am currently running OsX 10.6.(7) not 10.6.8. Thank you for your help and sorry for the confusion.

4. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

I would reinstall Flash, Java, Safari, and Chrome. Javascript is built into the browser. Javascript's function is unrelated to the Java plugin.

5. rpprdud thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah yes, thank you. That is sounding like the best solution at the moment.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There has never been a virus in the wild that affects Mac OS X since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some education and common sense and care in what software you install:

7. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Try reinstalling Java last as this usually requires using the install disk. Test the system after each item is reinstalled.

8. rpprdud thread starter macrumors newbie

I shall try that