Possible virus?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by haleigh, Jul 20, 2015.

1. haleigh macrumors member

Hi, so I didn't think Mac's got viruses, but I could be wrong. I just went to a website where a pop up came up and wouldn't let me click out of it. It said my computer had been infected and I kind of freaked out and quit out of it. My question is, was that just a dumb pop up or was it an actual virus? The only antivirus I have is iAntivirus that I've had since I got my laptop. Is that still a good program to use?

edit: this was the website that came up! I didn't even mean to go there, it came from another website...
    [​IMG]

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

3. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

If you want some protection the only Apple Approved anti anything is Adware Medic now bought by and known as Malwarebytes. Its free, doesn't install a bunch of junk and works well. If you want something stronger Sophos has active scanners and is also free, but its always running. It was probably just a dumb pop up, but nothing is immune from viruses or malware. Macs just get then FAR less than windows.

4. haleigh thread starter macrumors member

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Weeeell! There hasn't ever been a virus released "in the wild" for OSX.

6. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

7. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

That pop up was nothing more than a maliciously crafted advertisement using JavaScript. Ignore it, the person who designed that ad is hoping you're gullible enough to fall for it. That type of ad is the very reason some people use ad blockers.

8. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

It was a "dumb pop-up", never click on it!
    I suggest using an adblocker, like AdBlock, AdBlock Plus, µBlock etc.

9. chown33 macrumors 604