Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macostendoto

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
I really like the idea of the white iPad and I'm planning on making my iPad 2 a big purchase with 64GB storage Wi-Fi only. But I'm really nervous about the idea of the white iPad getting discolored or yellowed over time? What are the odds? Does anyone know what kind of machining the iPad goes through to make it white? So I'm wondering whether to get black because its reliable or white because I like it. Please help me make a choice. March 11th is coming!

xMBPx

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2010
The way I see it, it's new.. so there's no way to tell how it will be in a few years unless they've tested that- which is highly unlikely.

As for color selection- black seems more professional and business like, while white seems to be more of a toy.

If you're looking for good resale value, which it seems like you are, then I would go with black. On top of all the other reasons, white just seems to be a fad and "different," and that will fade away soon enough... unless the white looks really nice and game changing in person..

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Keep in the mind that you will never touch the white bezel as it's going to be covered by the glass. The only way that I could think of that may cause any sort of discoloring might be internal component heat. This is probably unlikely as the first iPad was cool to the touch, and Apple has probably tested for this sort of thing.

londoner888

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
Tottenham, London
I will be getting an iPad 2 in White for sure.
Just seems a lot fresher and newer than black and a more obvious change from iPad 1 if that makes sense.

I've had plenty of White apple gadgets... White iPods, White 3G and 3Gs and have never had any issues with discolouration whatsoever.

Even if it were to discolour which it won't, you most likely would have moved onto an iPad 3 by then anyways.

Regarding White being a "fad" and that it will "fade away soon"... is bs considering that Apple products have always come in White from day 1!!!
And having sold white iPhones... Colour does not affect resale value in my experience.

SteveKnobs

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
CMU
The way I see it, it's new.. so there's no way to tell how it will be in a few years unless they've tested that- which is highly unlikely.

As for color selection- black seems more professional and business like, while white seems to be more of a toy.

If you're looking for good resale value, which it seems like you are, then I would go with black. On top of all the other reasons, white just seems to be a fad and "different," and that will fade away soon enough... unless the white looks really nice and game changing in person..

Not sure I agree with this. I don't think white is a fad at all (Macbooks?). I think it comes down to personal taste and what the individual is into. I've seen Engadget's hands-on photo's of both the black and white next to each other. The white looks freaking awesome. In a way I feel like it looks more classy than the black. It also seems to look more "high-tech" and advanced- like the high-end futuristic piece of technology that it truly is. I'm still torn between which I will buy. The first iPad was black, so I kind of want to change it up a little. And again like I said, the white looks awesome.

neko girl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2011
My Gen 1 iPod is still white. Apple knows how to make a white device. Stop worrying about it.

Kadin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
As already said, white is nothing new to Apple. I certainly wouldn't worry about it...

Pballer110

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2010
I doubt there will be any huge problems with the white ipad. It basically comes down to personal preference which you like.

Macostendoto

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
I talked to an apple employee on chat and they said it's possible but I dunno if she was really educated in the matter. Still it dent give me confidence

Macostendoto

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Well I have made my descison. White iPad 64GB Wi-Fi only. I trust that Apple doesn't want another white iPone 4 fiasco so they've probably perfected their methods. White is classic Apple and it will make it more unique over the millions of black iPads out there. Also if anything does happen with yellowing or issues with the white I'm sure apple will have a fix. I don't feel like they'll say "screw you you should've gotten black" because I felt like on the apple site and on the the videos the White version was really pushed to the forefront and could be a sign that Apple is going minimalist and clean again bringing back some classic design elements coupled with breakthrough technology.:apple:

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
Hmm what about cases??

The way I see it, isn't the thing going to be covered up by some sort of case anyway thus hiding the color of the ipad?? I'm just waiting for the otterbox to come out and I'm snatching it up.. This is my 1st ipad so forgive me if I'm incorrect in my assumption.

number9

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2004
USA
Well I have made my descison. White iPad 64GB Wi-Fi only. I trust that Apple doesn't want another white iPone 4 fiasco so they've probably perfected their methods. White is classic Apple and it will make it more unique over the millions of black iPads out there. Also if anything does happen with yellowing or issues with the white I'm sure apple will have a fix. I don't feel like they'll say "screw you you should've gotten black" because I felt like on the apple site and on the the videos the White version was really pushed to the forefront and could be a sign that Apple is going minimalist and clean again bringing back some classic design elements coupled with breakthrough technology.:apple:

No need to worry- the white iPad will NOT yellow. The white color is paint on the back side of the display glass. You will never touch the "white", just the glass. It won't yellow from you touching it any more than any other touch screen discolors from your hands, which is not at all.

Davichi

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
I never heard of any stories that White iPhone 3GS became yellow...

Why would this iPad be any different?

Apple will cover you up for a year, so no worries with this yellow or w/e issues that people worry about.

USGIshimura

macrumors member
May 30, 2010
The way I see it, isn't the thing going to be covered up by some sort of case anyway thus hiding the color of the ipad?? *snip*.

God no! I wouldn't dare cover up such a beautiful design with an atrocious case.

You want to protect a sheet of glass and aluminium with plastic or rubber? A Smartcover, yes. A case, ugh.

That's my personal thoughts, of course.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.