Possible with Retina Display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hvgotcodes, Jun 11, 2012.

1. hvgotcodes macrumors member

So the retina display of a model has twice the resolution of whatever display its replacing. So a 1440x900 goes to 2880x1800. If I understand correctly, even though you have twice the resolution, you still have the same screen real estate, or perhaps to put it better, programs use the extra pixels to make the display crisper, so you don't appear to have more real estate

What I am getting at is, is it possible for a 2800x1800 display to use the extra pixels to allow you to show more, so I could use programs like I do on my current 17"

2. houkouonchi macrumors regular

I believe this is possible by disabling the HiDPI (or whatever) feature. Definitely doable if you run a different OS on it. I plan on doing this as I want more real-estate not clearer text.

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Yes, you get to choose the scaling in System Preferences. Here is a gallery of what the different scale options look like:

http://www.anandtech.com/Gallery/Album/2078#1

The option with the most effective real estate makes things the same physical size as they would be on a 1920x1200 display.

4. hvgotcodes thread starter macrumors member

ah very good. Gonna have to check this joint out in person...

5. bhtooefr, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

bhtooefr macrumors regular

I'm definitely in it for more real estate - this is to replace my ThinkPad T61p with a chassis and 2048x1536 LCD swap, and the entire reason for THAT build was also more real estate.

I'm guessing that you basically need to follow the HiDPI tutorials, but instead of check the box to enable HiDPI, uncheck it to disable it. Also, might need to hack something to get the display control panel from a "normal" Mac.

6. macduke Suspended

macduke

I saw that AnandTech story, but I'm worried about blurry edges from the upscaling and then downscaling to fit. Maybe it won't be as noticeable on the retina screen, but I guess I'll have to wait and see. I require precise sharp edges in my design work since I'm usually working on pixel-perfect UI or website design. Crossing my fingers here...I'd prefer a 1680 workspace. But the Anand article also mentioned performance hits since it's actually running your workspace at double 1680 or double 1920. Check out the full res screenshots for yourself. They're frickin' huge and bigger than 2880's 5mp. They're 7mp for 1680 and 9mp for 1920.

7. bhtooefr, Jun 12, 2012

If you're working on pixel perfect design, stick with the "1440x900" mode. Or figure out how to disable HiDPI, and run 2880x1800 full native.

Any higher modes, and you'll be dealing with pixels that are smaller than the real screen pixels.

8. DELTAsnake macrumors 6502

DELTAsnake

So I can have about the same work area as my 27" Cinema Display, thats a point in the Retina MBP's favor over a 27" iMac to replace my 24" iMac. But I'm wondering does that makes it to small? I wish I had a real Apple Store near me so I could just walk in, play with the settings and buy one if it suits me.

9. bhtooefr, Jun 12, 2012

Depends on your eyesight, whether your eyesight is enhanced, and how close you sit to it, really.

You can scale existing screenshots to be about right density, and then display them on an equal or higher density device, to get an idea of how it'd work for you. For instance, your iPad or iPhone 4 would work (just remember that you need to scale the images to be BIGGER to match the lower density of the MBPR).