Possibly a dream hardware DIY project...

Discussion in 'iPod' started by FatMax, Sep 11, 2007.

1. FatMax macrumors 6502

FatMax

....but it wouldnt stop me none the less.

Anyone here familiar with (or know about a webpage that is) cracking open a 1st gen nano and changing parts inside it ?

I´m ´dreaming´ of connecting a 12 inch ibook panel to the nano, instead of the original tiny one, and using thing for a picture frame. Now, if I´m right about what I think is correct, the lcd panels have their own power in, their own processor for pixel-handling and lines in for getting something to display.

Is this just something I should forget right away ? I kind of like the idea of dissecting my nano and putting it all beatifully together again with the clickwheel on the side of the screen, black glass-frame and power connection on the back. Imagine a 12 inch digital photoframe!!

Seriously, no funky comments about the size of my brain please...

2. jonnylink macrumors 6502

it is an interesting idea. The chips & whatnot for the lcd are usually connected to the motherboard. I'm sure a skilled modder could do it, so the question is: are you a skilled modder? I am sure it can be done, though I am not sure the cost would be less than just buying a digital picture frame and it probably wouldn't look quite as clean, but then again a lot of the digital picture frames I've seen are butt-ugly.

3. PygmySurfer macrumors 6502

I doubt the nano could drive a screen that large.

4. FatMax thread starter macrumors 6502

FatMax

Doesnt lcd screens have a power supply of their own ? I want to power it all via the ipodconnector to a wall outlet..

5. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

I think what he meant by drive is that the nano might not have the power to output to a screen of 1080 x 780 or whatever the resolution of the 12' ibook is.

6. FatMax thread starter macrumors 6502

FatMax

Aha, now I see. Well, anyone seen something similar anywhere on the web?

Surely some kind of ampifier/converter should do the trick. Damn, I wish I would have accomplished the whole year when I was attending electronics class. And paying more attention to what was being said...

7. PygmySurfer macrumors 6502

Not power in an electrical sense, it doesn't have the graphics "muscle" I guess you could say. You can't just amplify it, you need a graphics chip capable of the resolution wanted. I don't think the nano even uses a graphics chip, its just integrated into the CPU.

The resolution on a 1st gen nano is 176x132 - 23,232 pixels. The 12" display from an iBook is 1024x768 - 786,432 pixels. That's essentially 33 times the pixels. Even a 3rd gen nano is only 320x240 - 76,800 pixels - the iBook display still has 10 times the number of pixels.

8. FatMax thread starter macrumors 6502

FatMax

Ok, now I´m really with you. However, if I were to use a iPod Video for instance, this one has TV out capabilities..? Is this something that would work..?

9. PygmySurfer macrumors 6502

That might be doable - you wouldn't even have to dismantle the iPod, just attach it to the back of the display somehow, run the cable from the dock connector/headphone jack through some kind of converter to interface with the LCD. You may even be able to rig it up so you could make it like a dock for the iPod, in case you wanted to use it as a regular iPod still. Would also make putting new content on it easier.