Possibly a stupid ATT/MMS question..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thelumpya2, Jun 17, 2009.

1. thelumpya2 macrumors regular

thelumpya2

This may be a stupid question with an obvious answer that I have overlooked in the threads i've been reading... but here it goes.

I just updated to 3.0, I noticed that in the texting app, It does not show the little camera button next to the text line like I'm seeing in screenshots of people that have MMS working..

I know that ATT isn't allowing MMS yet, so I'm not suprised that the button isn't there..

but how are they going to add that feature without sending out yet another update?

something that an att rep will have to physically do in store?

[​IMG]

2. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

A small "carrier update" will enable the feature that's already built into the software.

3. thelumpya2 thread starter macrumors regular

thelumpya2

which is something that could be done over air when ATT decides to get off their asses and allow MMS?

4. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

prob will do it thru itunes when they fix it for everyone, allegedly

5. joro macrumors 68020

joro

I don’t remember exactly when but I do remember there was a carrier update for AT&T some time back that had to be downloaded through iTunes. So I’m not sure it is something that can be done over the air.

6. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

Yeah, you connect to iTunes, it says there's a carrier update, you install it, your phone restarts, and you're done. According to AT&T, they'll send out a text message to all their iPhone customers telling everyone that MMS is now available.

7. thelumpya2 thread starter macrumors regular

thelumpya2

thanks, this is pretty much the answer I was looking for.

8. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

as much as i dont want to see it happen, I have a funny feeling that "later this summer" is gonna turn into "holidays 09, we promise"

9. joro macrumors 68020

joro

I on the opposite side, I think we’ll actually see this within the next 20-30 days.

10. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

11. thelumpya2 thread starter macrumors regular

thelumpya2

I really hope that we do.

12. missadri macrumors newbie

same problem

I'm having the same problem. Why are some people on AT&T not having this problem? I want the carrier update!! I just want to play with it! :D

13. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

its not a problem, some people are using hacked carrier files, but just because the icons and options show up, doesnt mean MMS is working for those people

14. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

So it requires iTunes to install the carrier file? I couldn't...say...Attach the file to an email and then open/install it from there?