possibly bricked ipod 2g, please read, thanks (:

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by deafagain, Feb 6, 2009.

1. deafagain macrumors newbie

deafagain

ok, i'll start from the start, as i don't want to miss anything out that is important. when i tried to jailbreak my ipod 2g on my mac (ppc), i got as far as terminal, and it didn't work, even after following several guides. it was probably me, but ohwell.

after this, i gave my ipod to a mate of mine who is running windows and he did it using a gui or something very quickly. the jail break worked fine and i plugged it into my computer and synced it to my itunes and put all of my apps, music etc on it. i don't mind about my computer not being tethered,
    as i never turn my ipod off really anyway.

i downloaded most of the emulators (gba, nes, genesis and psx) for ipod off cydia, and another program called finder which allowed me to put my roms in place when i got them off ishare, which (i'm sure you already know) is a internet file hosting thing (even i don't really know what it is!) - ftp doesn't seem to work on my computer. i also downloaded a gba_bios.bin file to put in my rom folder in order for my gba emulator to work.

as i was using finder to move and rename it (it changed its name when it was on there), the ipod crashed. i decided to leave it, (it was plugged into the computer), to gather itself up again and i had tea, and by that time, the ipod screen was off, itunes, actually, the whole computer didn't recognise it, and it doesn't charge through the mains adapter i have. i've tried holding down the home and power button for ten seconds, then just the home for seven seconds, and to be honest, just about any other combination of the buttons. i can't get it into recovery mode but then again itunes wont even recognise it in the first place.

please guys, don't be all, 'you shouldn't of jailbroke it if you don't understand it', but give any advice, whether you reckon i should send it to apple somehow and hope they don't find out i've voided my warrenty. or maby theres a program, or did it happen to you? i'm really desperate, i don't get nice things much, i come from a fairly poor family, and i really want to fix this.

thanks for your time
    leon
    x

2. SeanFace macrumors newbie

For a start.

Do you know whether it is the iPod not being detected because of problems with the iPod or the USB plug. Do other USB devices work in the same port?

I dont really know what the deal with returns over in America are but I wouldnt recommend trying to send it in with the Jail Break still on there.

3. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

If nothing else works, try a DFU Restore.

But make sure it's not some other cause first, like dust in the USB.

4. deafagain thread starter macrumors newbie

deafagain

urh, the ports fine; it works with my phone, and by the way i'm from england, the dfu doesn't work - it says that the ipod software isn't available and it says this could be because i haven't got the latest version of itunes. but i checked - i have. ahwell. atleast itunes recognises theres a ipod.

ahhhh.
    tell me, i'm ruined 'aint i!

5. Iceburg640 macrumors newbie

Help

Find a download of the 2.2.1 firmware and press option restore in iTunes and select the downloaded firmware and it should restor back to normal :)

6. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

is the ipod turning on at all? even if it is just going to the apple screen and freezing? if it's coming on at all there's an easier way to get it into restore mode. i can never get it into restore mode with the button pressing because you have to get the timing just right but this methods works for me every time. first make sure your ipod is off and not plugged into a usb cable. next hold down the home button (the ipod should still remain off). next plug in the usb cable while still holding the home button. keep holding the home button until the connect to itunes logo appears. then just connect to itunes and restore.

7. NeGRit0 macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

i also tried to jail break, and i thought everything was going ok. After the iPod was restored with the custom ipsw and turned itself off i cant get it to turn back on... AT ALL! Thats where im stuck, any help is greatly appreciated. I just bought mine 2 weeks ago, i hope i didnt break it already...

EDIT: Disregard. I got it into dfu and all is well. I now have a jailbroken 32GB (2G) :D

8. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

DFU never fails ;)

9. deafagain thread starter macrumors newbie

deafagain

ahhhh, thanks guys, your all great. its fixed!
    take it easy, leon