Possibly buying used TB display. What to look out for?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mactabulous, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Mactabulous macrumors member

I'm currently looking to buy a used TB display, and during this week I'll be checking one out not far from here. It's three months old, everything seems to be in order formally.

What - if any - particular issues should I keep my eyes peeled for when concidering a used TB display? Is there any way to run a diagnostics test to ensure that everything is in shipshape?

I'll be bringing my MBA in order to hook it up and test it before I buy it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

You need to hook up a MBP and make sure the thunderbolt connect delivers the video and audio to the display. You need to make sure the FW and USB ports work. You need to make sure the thunderbolt port (to external drives) work.

I would consider a refurbished display from Apple. They are under $900 and come with same warranty as a new one. You can also get Apple Care for them.

In any case, wait and see what is announced today. Perhaps a refreshed thunderbolt display is announced today. If so, it should drive down the prices for the first generation thunderbolt display.

3. Mactabulous thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the checklist! I'll make sure and check all the ports to ensure they work as they should. I have heard about a few issues, so I'm a bit weary, actually. Perhaps it would be best to wait for a new model. Too bad they didn't launch one today, amidst a pile of otherwise cool devices!