possibly corrupt os

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Pfeifferj, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Pfeifferj macrumors newbie

i just got an iMac and i dont know the name or password to get on it. Its running OSX 10.4.7. Ive never messed with a mac before and i tried to boot into safe mode and the comp loads for a minute then shuts off. Anyone have any ideas on how i can get on this machine? Ive been wanting one for a while but have no experience with Mac's.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you just got it then use the OS discs to reformat the drive and reinstall the operating system. :)

3. Pfeifferj thread starter macrumors newbie

the person i got it from doesnt have the os cd. and when i put in a cd to boot from i couldnt get it to boot from it, maybe i didint hold the right keys or something but it doesnt wanna run a cd at startup

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What CD are you using? You'll need to get a copy of OSX to reformat and install.

5. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Insert the Leopard DVD and hold down the "c" key until it boots from the DVD.
    Once you get to the installer screen, click the options button and choose "Erase and Install"
    The rest is fairly straightforward.

BTW, once you get to the desktop, run software update from the Apple menu in the upper left corner. (you need internet access at this point)
    You may have to run it several times.

Once you have finished updating OSX, shut down the machine, unplug everything including the power cord.
    Wait 15 seconds, then plug the power cord in, then the keyboard and mouse.
    Press the power button to start the machine.
    This process resets the System Management Controller.

6. Pfeifferj thread starter macrumors newbie

is there any type of bios on a mac like a pc where i can see what the comp has running in it because im not sure if it will run lepard, also im not sure if it has a dvd drive on it. if i put in a cd it will keep it in but if its a dvd it spits it back out.

7. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Go to the Apple menu and choose "About this Mac".
    Click the "more info..." button.
    System profiler will show you the hardware installed on your machine.
    It's similar to the Device Manager in Windows, except that it's just a report.

BTW, Macs use EFI instead of BIOS.

8. Pfeifferj thread starter macrumors newbie

i cant get logged on to get to that part yet. if i knew the password and name i would be able to get on. is there anyway of gettign past this?

9. Pfeifferj thread starter macrumors newbie

when i try to boot with a certain command like boot from cd it will stay at the loading gear screen for about a minute then it will just turn off. could this be a hardware problem?

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Do you buy things without researching?

iMac can be G3, G4, G5, or intel. Does it have LCD? Typically there is a tag somewhere (if LCD, under LCD stand) that lists the specs.

Why can't the seller reset the password? Typically that's a sign of something that might be of questionable origins (stolen?).

11. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

You're saying that holding down the C key and booting with the DVD in the optical drive does not work.

You must do precisely this to get into the installer program on the DVD.

12. Pfeifferj thread starter macrumors newbie

yea i try to get into a cd and it never works and when i try to boot safe mode it will load for a couple minuted then just shut down like the flick of a switch, and no the comp isn't stolen.