(Possibly) Dumb Question about AppleCare

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by crush500, Apr 27, 2011.

1. crush500 macrumors member

I've read through several different things online and can't seem to find the answer anywhere. I'm going to purchase a 13" Macbook Pro here in the next few weeks and was planning on purchasing AppleCare coverage with it. However I have no Apple Stores near me. I do, however, have two Authorized Service Providers within ten miles of me. Do the Authorized Service Providers honor the AppleCare protection? If the HDD crashes, overheating problems, battery issues, etc will they fix it for free under my AppleCare plan? Or would I have to send it through the mail to Apple and have them fix it?

I've read differing views online. On Apple's AppleCare page it says "Apple may provide service through one or more of the following options: carry-in service (to Apple Retail Stores or Apple Authorized Service Providers), customer drop-off (to UPS stores in the U.S., for iPod and iPhone only), direct mail-in service, onsite service (for desktop computers), or Do-It-Yourself (DIY) parts (so you can service your own product)." I wasn't sure if that meant you can get it repaired (at your cost without voiding the warranty) at Authorized Service Providers or if it meant that the ASPs will honor the AppleCare coverage and fix it for free.

Thanks for your help...

2. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

I think you have to send it off to Apple for it to be fixed. I'm sure that resellers don't fix products. But I could be wrong. A reseller may replace the laptop, but I'm sure they won't fix it. Edit: Mal has answered your question. Again my answer was c*ap! ;)

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yes, any Apple Authorized Service Center will honor the AppleCare. I have worked for two so far, and generally I would recommend them over the Apple Stores for most situations.

Note that he didn't say reseller. That would be a different story.

jW

4. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

No wonder my answer was c*ap, I was answering a different question to what he was asking! Us British are useless! Thanks bud :)

5. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Yes, they honor AppleCare.
    http://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html

6. crush500 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you so much! I've been searching everywhere and wasn't able to find a concrete answer. That just makes AppleCare even more of a no-brainer!

7. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I'm in the same boat - the nearest Apple Store is over an hour away. Luckily we have two stores near here - Mactown and MacDepot. You don't even have to call Apple first - you can just take it in. A friend of mine near here had her power adapter fry her Macsafe board inside her Macbook. Took it to Mactown, and the next day the board and the adapter were both replaced no charge. Saw the repair invoice that they were billing Apple for and it was over $600. Definitely paid off. :D