Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
1. Is there any reason I shouldn't buy from an Apple Store? It seems like most people here by online but I don't want to wait weeks to get it.

2. Is the maxed out iMac worth it? I plan on doing a bit of gaming (we're probably buying two) and want this thing to last a while. Is the 3.06GHz unit fully loaded a good deal? Or is the jump from 2.8GHz or any other feature not worth the price?

3. Any tips in general regarding this whole process? I've never own a Mac before. I'm actually a PC guy my whole life in IT but I'm tired of it and Mac is really appealing...

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
1. Is there any reason I shouldn't buy from an Apple Store? It seems like most people here by online but I don't want to wait weeks to get it.

You can customize RAM, hard drive size, processor speed, etc online. In store is whatever they have in stock.

2. Is the maxed out iMac worth it? I plan on doing a bit of gaming (we're probably buying two) and want this thing to last a while. Is the 3.06GHz unit fully loaded a good deal? Or is the jump from 2.8GHz or any other feature not worth the price?

It's whatever's worth it to you. I maxed out my MacBook pro with processor and RAM and hard drive size and I don't regret spending the money for a second.

3. Any tips in general regarding this whole process? I've never own a Mac before. I'm actually a PC guy my whole life in IT but I'm tired of it and Mac is really appealing...

Read the forums here and at MyFirstMac for general information. Even apple has great info for switchers.

Good luck and enjoy! :cool:

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
You can customize RAM, hard drive size, processor speed, etc online. In store is whatever they have in stock.

So as long as they have what I want in stock, there is no negative aspect to purchasing from a store?

Thanks for the info.

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
There is no reason not to buy from the apple store other then sales tax.

I think it makes for a better expierience if you should have to return it or exchange it.

If you want a custom build you have no choice but to buy online from apple.

Do not buy extra memory from apple. Way too expensive. I bought 4gb from newegg for under $70.

The jury is still out on the 8800 video option for anything other then 3d apps and 3d games. On pro-apps and normal desktop applications the 2600 either out performs it or is about the same performance.

The 3.06ghz processor is not a big diference in speed over the 2.8ghz model. Its more about bragging rights then anything else. But I opted for it witha 2600 video card.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
There is no reason not to buy from the apple store other then sales tax.

I'll buy in Oregon where there is no sales tax.

If you want a custom build you have no choice but to buy online from apple.

Do not buy extra memory from apple. Way too expensive. I bought 4gb from newegg for under $70.

They seem to have the maxed out one in stores, besides the RAM which they can install. I don't mind buying it from them, one of the reasons I'm getting an iMac is I'm sick of building PCs and I don't want to have to touch this thing, not even to save a little money. I'm buying this thing finished!

The jury is still out on the 8800 video option for anything other then 3d apps and 3d games. On pro-apps and normal desktop applications the 2600 either out performs it or is about the same performance.

I'm gaming so I'll definitely be getting the upgraded card.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
They seem to have the maxed out one in stores, besides the RAM which they can install. I don't mind buying it from them, one of the reasons I'm getting an iMac is I'm sick of building PCs and I don't want to have to touch this thing, not even to save a little money. I'm buying this thing finished!

RAM is very easy to install in the iMac. Buying it from a third party could literally save you hundreds of dollars. Other than that, if the store has the model you want, I'd definitely buy it from them because waiting sucks.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
RAM is very easy to install in the iMac. Buying it from a third party could literally save you hundreds of dollars. Other than that, if the store has the model you want, I'd definitely buy it from them because waiting sucks.

Trust me, I know how easy installing RAM is. ;) I would just prefer to have everything direct from them and done already so if something goes wrong I can 100% blame it on them. This is going to be my no worries desktop...

SkiHound

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008
I bought mine from an Apple store. As others have noted, the only possible reasons for not doing so are sales tax and customizability. I'd say the difference between the 2.8 and 3.06 will hardly be noticeable. Get the upgraded graphics card if you play 3D games. I'm very new to the Mac. I've long worked in a Windows environment and some software I've used in the past was ported to Mac operating systems. And I always thought it was stupid to buy a Mac and mostly run Windows on it. But the software I rely on is now ported to OS-X, I needed a new computer, really liked the look of the Macs, and took the plunge. I've got much learning to do before things become intuitive, but so far I'm really happy with it. Setting things up just seems straight forward.

mastershakess

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2008
Bel Air, MD
1. I like having somewhere to return the purchase if something goes wrong or doesn't work

2. Worth the price? Do you have a budget or do you plan to spend whatever it takes? If you have the money faster/larger is always a better bet imo. Think about it this way, the more you spend the slower it will become out of date, lol.

3. My advice get it and plan around with it. Best way to learn is first hand! Have Fun. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.