Possibly hacked? Need feedback

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Erob, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Erob macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I am new to this forum obviously. I decided to post because I've been paranoid lately by possibilities that I may be hacked by someone or may have a virus on my Mac. I purchased my Mac in June of this year. I was messing around on "Finder" today and was looking at documents and stuff when I noticed some documents in the finder that were not familiar to me. I kept looking and I actually found A LOT of documents with numbers and things that were not familiar to me. Once I saw this, I went to the activity monitor. I saw my username of course along with process names that looked familiar to me. I kept scrolling down and then I saw the username "daemon" and the process name was "distnoted". What is this? Am I just paranoid about this or is something going on? My computer speeds are fine and the computer itself is acting completely normal. I DO use uTorrent and Frostwire, though I don't download just anything. I'd appreciate some feedback on this. Thanks a lot.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First, there ARE no viruses in the wild that run on current Mac OS X: Mac Virus/Malware Info

Second, just because you see file names or processes that you don't understand, doesn't mean you've been hacked or have malware. There are many components of Mac OS X that you don't know about, so don't worry about it. Just use your Mac and don't delete files or stop processes unless you know what you're doing.

Mac OS X: What Are All Those Processes?
    Yes

3. Erob thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot. I am new to the Mac OS and I appreciate the feedback.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's really important that you read the Mac Virus/Malware Info link I provided. That will help you get rid of your paranoia and know how to safely use your new Mac.

Here's some more important reading: Helpful Information for Any Mac User

5. Erob thread starter macrumors newbie

I will definitely read over it. I just skimmed over some of it and it's very interesting. It is reassuring to know these things. I guess I should probably stop using Bittorents? Or do you think I will be okay as long as I don't download anything suspicious and use common sense?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need to stop using torrents. Common sense and the information you read in that link will go a long way in protecting you.

7. Erob, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2010

Erob thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, thanks a lot for your help.

GGJstudios, one more thing. I am using uTorrent right now. Is Vuze better than uTorrent for downloading files on a Mac or are they pretty much the same?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I only use Transmission (and rarely use that), so I can't comment on the others.