(Possibly) more proof that the MBP update will be delayed til WWDC

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pyrrhic, Apr 25, 2012.

1. pyrrhic macrumors newbie

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

are they going AMD? do we know that? I thought we didn't know all this yet.

3. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

I thought it was more of a marketing strategy.

4. pyrrhic thread starter macrumors newbie

No way to know. I would assume so since it's in the current generation and if I'm not mistaken, AMD is generally more power/thermal friendly.

5. StuLax18 macrumors 6502

Says "Look for laptops containing these new parts soon", which to me says they are available now and just need to be assembled into computers being built.

6. pyrrhic thread starter macrumors newbie

A new cpu and gpu in one announcement would make for a nice keynote though :)

7. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

leaks

Past leaks have said that production has already began?>

8. mulraven macrumors newbie

I thought they were just rumors, not real leaks.

9. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

Lol. It's not like a flour maker has just finished creating a new special flour and has to pass it to the baker across the street so the special pizza can be made soon.

There companies work closely. When a chip announcement is made, the computer factories have already been churning production at least a couple months beforehand with those chips depending on the computer company's plan of release.

10. pyrrhic thread starter macrumors newbie

That's why I said "Possibly" :D

11. salmoally macrumors regular

While I don't mind waiting a few months I am quite interested in what Apple's thinking is behind this release schedule.

We are almost half way through the year and we still have expected updates to the macbook pro, macbook air, imac, mac pro, mac mini, iphone, Mountain Lion, IOS6 as well as other possible releases such as Logic Pro X, iWork, iLife etc.

Seems like either they will release something before WWDC or there's gonna be an update frenzy in the last 6 months, something Apple doesn't really do.

Maybe they just wanted to give their flagship product - iPad some room to itself so they could meet supply/demand in the first half of 2012 and then concentrate on the other products.

Oh well we'll find out soon enough - have patience(I know it's hard!).

12. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

Bingo! Apple's quarter sales for their CPU line isn't exactly ideal as we all saw a few hours ago. I doubt Apple is gonna let that drag until WWDC. No way! I still have hope we'll be pleasantly happy one Tuesday this May.

13. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Actually, the fact that companies are announcing a new wave of parts right now would lead me to predict a refresh sooner rather than later.

14. ScottishDuck macrumors 6502a

ScottishDuck

Apple will not be using AMD again. they are far too incompetent; they miss deadlines, their drivers are awful and their hardware is low quality.

15. Liquinn Suspended

I've waited almost 4 months; I'm fine with waiting another 2.

16. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Seriously? Got anything to back up that opinion?

17. PAPO macrumors 6502

I love my AMD gfx cards, had a 4850, now have a 6970 in my PC and the 6750m in my MBP is quite impressive for a low-mid level card, and the benchmarks I've seen for the 7000 series cards look... *drools* admittedly AMD's reference coolers are a bit crap (noisy and inefficient) but not much worse than NVDIA reference coolers given the cards tend to draw less power and make less heat to start with.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If they're going for a June release, I would assume that manufacturing needs to be underway. Seems a little late in the manufacturing cycle to consider a different GPU

19. kefaith macrumors member

So do you mean that these AMD chips won't be on the new MBPs that we'll see in the coming months? Then perhaps they went with NVidia instead?

20. ELA2 macrumors member

Wrong. Exactly why they are going to wait to until June now to keep the stocks momentum going. Releasing now would do nothing in fact would hurt the stock due to an extended dry period. Sorry.

21. Stetrain macrumors 68040

If Apple wanted to use these GPUs they would have been testing them for months now with samples from AMD and probably have already started production with them.

Apple doesn't find out about these things at the same time they get announced to the public. It's pretty common for Intel/AMD/NVidia to announce a new chip and be followed immediately by companies releasing new hardware that uses them.

Ivy Bridge, for example, was only officially 'released' this week, but companies have been showing off Ivy Bridge based laptop prototypes since CES.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not saying apple didn't go with AMD, but rather that it probably doesn't make sense for apple to have late spring release of a MBP and try to squeeze in a new GPU that hasn't been released yet.

Yes but they would have to be sure that AMD could deliver the GPUs in time and in quantity. Apple was toying with the idea of using AMD CPUs for the MBAs a few years ago but it fell through because of AMD's inability to meet Apple's schedule. Apple would need to be assured that AMD could and will release the chips in time for manufacturing.

23. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

I have a hard time seeing how this is, as the title says "proof"...? Its information that could escalate speculation, but since we have no idea what manufacturer of gpu's Apple has decided to go with, its in no way proof of anything.

24. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

I also wanna know if this is indeed true. And if it is, I do hope Apple with go with NVidia's Kepler. Was researching the GT650M compared to the HD7770M at NotebookCheck and despite the AMD looking good on paper, the Kepler still had a bit of edge on framerates. Must indeed be driver issues.

The first line is the 650M and the second, 7770M. Pink means stuttering and frame rates lower than 25.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html

Attached Files:

25. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

You are correct. There is currently no proof of anything. All of the suggestions about redesigns, magical materials, retina displays... everything... I hope that a lot of people don't throw their toys out the cot when we get the same box with faster and more efficient IB CPUs and improved GPUs. Nevertheless, I am going to make some popcorn.