Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sandman512

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011
So, my MBP boots up and I get a folder with a question mark. I tried several diagnostic tests and it seems that it is either the HDD cable or the HD. I ordered a HDD cable(cheaper of the two) and will try that first. If that fails, I will most likely order an SSD hard drive. My question is, how to I reinstall my OS once the new HD is installed? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Chances are it's the hdd. Look at ifixit for a guide on replacement and then Apple.com for a guide on OS installation.

BruceButtcheeks

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2015
So, my MBP boots up and I get a folder with a question mark. I tried several diagnostic tests and it seems that it is either the HDD cable or the HD. I ordered a HDD cable(cheaper of the two) and will try that first. If that fails, I will most likely order an SSD hard drive. My question is, how to I reinstall my OS once the new HD is installed? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
My early 2015 did the same thing last month. Was the flash memory, was replaced out of warranty of course. Luckily AMEX extended the warranty an extra year.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
As seen in another message thread, take a look at the new Crucial MX300 series (can be found on amazon). Offers more storage space than previous standard configurations (for example, instead of 240/256gb, the MX300 gives you 275gb). Price is reasonable, too.

If you need an instruction guide, you can find a very good one at ifixit.com.
Also, get the right tools -- Phillips #00 driver and TORX T-6 driver.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Still the 2012 model you mentioned here?

If so, that model has Internet recovery in firmware and can download the OS over the Internet. Install the drive then hold command-option-r at boot (all three at once). Once you enter your wifi info you will see a spinning globe while the recovery utility downloads. Once that is done you will see a screen similar to this. Start Disk Utility and in the left column pick the new drive. Now go to the erase tab and format the drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then quit Disk Utility and click Reinstall OS X.

That will download the ~6GB OS over the Internet and install it. This will be the OS X version that came with it from the factory. Once that is done and you have made your account and logged in you can update to El Capitan if you like.

yosemite-restart-recovery_mode-reinstall_os_x.png

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Is it a late 2008/mid 2009/mid 2010? If so, chances are it's probably the cable. For some reason they seem to eat them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.